Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WMuntean

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
Anyone experience flashing screens on their new MBPs?

I have a standard 17" and get a random flash of the entire screen (e.g., a quick white flash). I'll describe the issue in more detail when I get a moment, but it's happened +5 times since I bought the MBP yesterday. I'm curious if anyone else has this issue?

fieldontheright

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2010
My 17 is doing it big time, started about two days after I got it. Phoned apple, no help there. My f5 and f6 keys do not work for brightening and dimming screen either. When the screen saver is on, it flashes to the desktop for half a second. Total rubbish from Apple...has anyone got any idea why this is happening?

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2008
Berlin
Do you mean this ? If so, I had it on my 2008 uMBP brought it to Apple Care but they said they can't reproduce it.

fieldontheright

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2010
Thanks Tex, yeah it is the same thing, I found that on Google but I suppose naively thought it would have been fixed once and for all with the brand new iteration of uMBP. Well I switched to Apple a year ago by way of a normal macbook, waited for the new MBP release, spent 2 grand on it, and it can't even seem to function as well as either my macbook or any windows machine I have ever had. Nice one Apple...Great PR and marketing, shame the product doesn't even function to the degree where it is usable without setting off an epileptic fit....:(

WMuntean

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
If your function keys don't work, then that adds to your case of having a faulty screen.

And yes, thats what the screen flickering looked like.

I will add that I took the computer back to the apple store, within 14 days, and they replaced it. I did, however, have some other issues as well (squeaky screen hinge and small, but noticeable, popping from the right side of the MBP). They were happy to swap it out for another 17. Since then I've had no issues. The biggest thing is to replicate the problem. And if nothing else, get the complaint documented just incase it gets worse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.