new 17" MBP gets HOT

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aforty, Mar 10, 2008.

1. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

I mean I'm getting sweaty just using it on my lap. Do they really generate this much heat or did I get a dud? It's pretty damn warm. What's the best way for me to check actual temperatures to compare with others?

2. Mercury7 macrumors 6502

are the fans running? I heard they get warm....just not as warm as the memrons

3. cmm26red macrumors regular

istat menus

http://www.islayer.com/index.php?op=item&id=28

4. davinche macrumors regular

davinche

My 17" gets hot enough that it is not comfortable to use it on my lap. I think this is why Apple stop referring to them as laptops and now call the MBs and MBPs notebooks.

5. Mercury7 macrumors 6502

BklynKid , download that widget listed above....if you can report the temps, everyone here will be able to tell you right away if this is normal for it.

6. aforty thread starter macrumors 65816

aforty

Thanks cmm26red, I'll check that out in a bit.

davinche, you have a Penryn MPB?

7. Mercury7 macrumors 6502

I know this is unrelated but my 17" g4 got very warm on my lap too so I am kind expecting the heat.....thin laptop made out of aluminum....it kind has to get hot.

8. MeSince83 macrumors newbie

I agree, it gets very uncomfortable when using the MBP on my lap, sometimes I have to use pillows because it gets so hot.

9. BowZinger macrumors member

you shouldn't be putting your computer on your lap...it should be used on a hard surface..

10. aforty thread starter macrumors 65816

aforty

Ok it was definitely hot than this before but now it's at 52 degrees and Fans are going at about 2000 RPM each (left and right).

I really appreciate the help guys.

11. BowZinger macrumors member

12. davinche macrumors regular

davinche

No I have a SR but I've also own two other MBPs and they all ran warm enough to make lap use uncomfortable. I believe the case gets warm as part of the heat dissipation (I think that's the right word), it is by design. I know the Penryn are suppose to run cooler but I don't think cool enough to make you able to keep one on your lap for an extended period of time.

13. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

Fan rpm is fairly normal - temps (depending on what you are running and what is being measured and what the ambient temperature is) may be a tad high - I'm running 104 F @ 2002 rpm doing web browsing only.

14. davinche macrumors regular

davinche

I'm running at 139 with fans running at 2000rpm. I'm web surfing, listening to music in iTunes, have mail open, and have Parallels running my XP boot camp partition.

15. aforty thread starter macrumors 65816

aforty

Now that I think of it, I was doing DVD-drive intensive things before. First I was installing Windows and then Orange Box (two DVDs and it takes forever). So the DVD drive could be to blame?

In the power options I see three options, Better Energy Saving, Normal and Better Performance. Do these have any significant impact on temperatures (if anyone knows, before I go and try)?