New 17" MBP in Q2 2012?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by natejohnstone@g, Dec 28, 2011.

  1. natejohnstone@g macrumors regular

    natejohnstone@g

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2007
    #1
    Okay, I know this is all speculation (it's a Rumors site, after all), but there is a lot of chatter about "new" 15" MBPs and MBAs coming in Q2 with Ivy Bridge. What I'm wondering is this:

    Will we see a new 17" MBP at the same time? Or just the same 17" MBP with Ivy Bridge? Or do you think :apple: would leave the 17" untouched when updating the others?

    I'm in the market for a 17" now, and actually ordered one but it was stolen in the mail (long story). By the time I get the insurance claim in and re-order the computer, it will be Feb. before I get it.

    If I only have to wait 4 months or so to get a new and much better computer, that will be worth the wait. So what do you guys think?
     
  2. vitzr macrumors 68030

    vitzr

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2011
    Location:
    California
    #2
    Speaking from lots of Apple experience, newer is not always better. Now with Steve gone I expect Apple to operate slightly differently. Perhaps they will improve communications and not be quite so evasive. But one never knows.

    A new 17"? That's a complete and utter unknown.
     
  3. VMMan macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2009
    #3
    If you think Feb 2012 is when you may purchase a MBP, I would personally wait until the refresh before buying a MBP.
     
  4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2011
    Location:
    Switzerland
    #4
    It might be worth waiting for what Q2 brings - this mostly depends on how much you need a new machine right now. In the mean time, why not share that "long story" with us?
     
  5. natejohnstone@g thread starter macrumors regular

    natejohnstone@g

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2007
    #5
    Just wanted to update this and ask people's opinions now, 1/2 a month later.

    It's confirmed that my new MBP was "lost" (i.e. a USPS employee stole themselves a custom 17" MBP for Christmas). I have to file a claim, get it approved, and actually get my money before I can order a new one. By then I'm sure it will be mid-February (i.e. 3-months after I ordered my computer originally).

    3 months ago, I was very comfortable ordering a newly refreshed MBP. Now, there are rumors of a new model / the current model with Ivy Bridge coming as soon as May, I"m not so sure.

    FYI, I'm fine with the current form-factor, so a complete redesign is less relevant to me than the new processor.

    My current 17" will be 3-years-old (and therefore off AppleCare) in March. And (nerd alert!), part of the reason I ordered my new computer when I did was to play Star Wars: The Old Republic with my friends and family back home. I still haven't started playing, though now that my new computer has been written off, I may install the $120 copy of Windows I have on my current computer and just re-buy Windows when I get my new MBP ... grrrr ... but I'm hesitant to do that since I'm not sure how well my current machine will run the game.

    So what say you? Would you "suffer" a few months and wait for Ivy Bridge, or do you think that won't hit until late fall or something and I should just order a new MBP as soon as I have the money again?

    THANKS a lot for the opinions!
     

Share This Page