New 17 MBP: Make sure the best graphics processing is being used by Windows

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Ovenall, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Ovenall macrumors member

Hey all- I have a brand new MBP that I use to run Windows 7 via Boot Camp. I do this to play games primarily.

I know there's an option in Energy Saver under System Preferences (OSX) to make sure the highest level of graphics processing is always on. But this is in OSX.

Is there a way to ensure I am using the best level of graphics processing when I am in Windows via Boot Camp? I'd like to make sure (and I play games with the machine plugged in anyway).

Thanks, and let me know if you have any other tips for ensuring best graphics performance in Windows.

2. techguy20 macrumors 6502

I believe it chooses the discrete chip by default and disables the integrated.

To check, you should be able to open Device Manager (search for it in the Start menu), and there should be a drop down for Display/Video devices (or something similarly-named; can't remember off the top of my head).

You'll see both devices there and the Intel one would most likely be disabled, which would be good. You'd want whichever model discrete card to be enabled.

3. Ovenall thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. This is correct. In fact, the device manager doesn't even "see" the Intel card.

Again thanks for the help.