New 17" MBP Matte screen - is it the "newest" panel?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ProMod, Jan 27, 2009.

1. ProMod macrumors 6502a

I saw a discussion somewhere in one of these threads about the new 17" MBP screen. The person stated that the new glossy panel is in fact a "newer" panel that boasts the "60% gamut increase", but that the matte panel being offered is the "older" panel, and does not have the color advancements of the glossy panel.

Has anyone been able to prove or disprove this information?

2. szark macrumors 68030

szark

No, and nobody will be able to prove/disprove it until the machines actually ship. Patience. :)

3. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY9TUDf8osk

Again, it doesn't prove anything one way or the other, but I think this is where the confusion is coming from...

(emphasis added)

On these words alone, it is the same display in both glossy and matte, with the matte just having the glass removed so that it has the same anti-glare properties (not the same color gamut or display itself) as the previous generation matte option. But, I mean he even says that we've created "for the first time with the 17-inch an anti-glare option"... and that's not true, so take the keynote for what it is, but I believe it's the newer display.

4. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

I think Phil messed up when saying that the 17-inch was getting matte for the first time. I watched it again, and I interpreted it to mean, "for the first time with the new unibody design, an anti-glare option...on the 17-inch."

5. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

From Apple's Store Site:

2.3 million pixels of perfection.

With the high-resolution LED-backlit widescreen display on the 17-inch MacBook Pro, you get desktop-quality color in an Apple notebook for the first time. The moment you open your MacBook Pro, you’re greeted instantly by full, corner-to-corner screen brightness. The 1920-by-1200-pixel resolution (133 pixels per inch) means you can view more palettes and windows or watch HD video in its native 1920-by-1080 resolution. Perfect whether you’re working in the studio or out in the field, the display offers a 60 percent greater color gamut than previous generations for richer, more vibrant colors and a 700:1 contrast ratio that makes whites brighter and blacks blacker. In addition, the seamless glass enclosure makes the display stronger and more durable. Because it’s power efficient and the glass is mercury- and arsenic-free, it’s greener than ever. And now you can choose a standard glossy display or an optional antiglare display, depending on your needs.

That sounds - to me - like you get the newer gamut screen but anti glare.