New 17" MBP - upgrading HD and RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pmbooks, Nov 30, 2010.

1. pmbooks macrumors regular

pmbooks

Hi, I just received a new MBP 17" and have an hard drive upgrade and memory to install. I'd prefer to go through the setup process after making the swaps; question is, can I do these before even turning the machine on for the first time? I'm sure it's no issue with the RAM, but it's been awhile since I did a hard drive swap (done this just once), and that wasn't on a new computer.

Thanks in advance.

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

It can be done at any point in time. I personally prefer turning the machine on and testing it out before doing any upgrades though to make sure it isn't DOA.

3. pmbooks thread starter macrumors regular

pmbooks

Are there any vitals on the shipped HD that need to be transferred first?

4. malachiman macrumors regular

Nope. Also agree with the above, start it up and make sure its all working well before you change the drive, just incase you have an issue and need to return it.

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

What do you mean by "vitals?" There's nothing that needs to be transferred over. I would turn it on, make a user account and do some basic tests with it to make sure that it works OK as-is in case it needs to be repaired or exchanged from the get-go. If it checks out, swap the hard drive, upgrade the RAM, and start the OS X installer from the discs included with your Mac.

6. cokedrinker macrumors member

Will the OSX disc that came with the MBP install on a new drive? Im taking the hdd out and sticking in and replacing with SSD - i was thinking i might need a retail OSX for the install

7. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Yes, it will, and in fact a retail disc might not work if it contains a build of OS X older than what your Mac shipped with.

8. pmbooks thread starter macrumors regular

pmbooks

Thanks all, for the clarifications and suggestions. Much obliged! PM

9. cokedrinker macrumors member

Excellent, thanks