New 17" MBP w/ SSD/HDD Locking up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by randy98mtu, Mar 29, 2012.

1. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I just got my 17" a couple weeks ago. The first day I put an SSD (m4) in the hard drive spot and moved the stock 750GB HDD to the optibay. I did internet recovery Lion install on the SSD.

It has run fine with 3 exceptions. First, when I installed some updates that "required a reboot", it seemed stuck in a loop and kept showing the Apple Logo, then going black and showing the logo again. It did this several times (no beeps) before completing the update and seeming fine after that.

The other 2 were strange crashes (in my opinion.) Both were when I was interrupted while using the computer and set it to the side before going to take care of things (pets and kids.) Both those times, when I came back to the computer, there was a grey window on the screen telling me I had to hold down the power button to reboot because something had crashed. Both times I was running Lightroom. No RAW files were lost, but some recent updates to the Lightroom catalog were lost.

Any ideas on these? Not sure if the update one was simply the way that update was supposed to go. The other 2 I'm sure were some kind of hardware crash, seemingly from setting the computer aside. I haven't changed the SMS setting, since I still have a HDD in the machine. I did change the Hibernate mode.

Thanks.

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

have you tested your RAM i was getting kernal panics and those "Reset your computer warnings" I tested my RAM with memtest and it appeared i had faulty RAM i have sent those back to Corsair and since I put my original RAM back in i havnt got the message once

PS i was using video convert software when i was getting my message

3. randy98mtu thread starter macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I have not. I will do that. I installed 8 GB of Crucial ram the day I got the computer as well. Thanks!

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

5. randy98mtu thread starter macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

Thanks! I really appreciate it. I'll run this tonight.

6. randy98mtu thread starter macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

It ran the full test and didn't find anything. I'm going to try shutting down and re-seating the memory. Since it only seems to happen when I move the computer, hopefully it's just not seated or something.

7. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Awesome resource, thanks!

Running 3 passes on some RAM I'd bought half a year ago, the third pass errored out after the 50% mark, proving I had a bad module...

8. AppChat macrumors regular