Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pagga

macrumors 6502
Original poster
3 week old 17" unibody: after light use, the headphone jack has no sound at all.
I´ve noticed there´s a short delay before the sound vanishes from the integrated speakers after plug-in, but then ... silence.

Is there anything I can do? I have been very careful with my machine.

P

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
It's still under warranty. Take it in to get looked at.

Normally, I would say try this or that, but you don't want to run the risk of them saying that you caused the problem.

Pagga

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Thanks for the reply.
I live well ou of range of any Apple store or service place. "Take it in" means
shipping away for a looong time.
Is there nothing I can do here and now? I understand this was an issue with previous generations as well ...

P

ekoe

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2008
London, UK
Go to System Preferences--> Sound--> Output... when you plug in your headphones, does the device change from 'Internal Speakers' to 'Headphones'?
I'm assuming you've tried a different pair of headphones already...

ekoe

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2008
London, UK
Are you using BootCamp?

There's a driver issue with BootCamp and the Macbook pro.

Do you get the red light when the headphones are plugged in?

Try restarting with the headphones connected.

You could also try poking into the the headphone socket with a toothpick if you feel adventurous. Be gentle though. My thought is that maybe there is a little corrosion or oxidation or perhaps a contact is stuck and the toothpick may engage it. Not a very hi-tech solution but worth a go.

Also try resetting the PRAM.

Pagga

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Poking with a toothpick if feeling adventurous ...
Yes :)
Well, the matter resolved itself. I have no idea how, why or what. All I know is the headphone jack is now working. I did restart the macbook. Perhaps there was a temporary issue, who knows

cheers,
P

ekoe

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2008
London, UK
Yeah, cool.
Maybe it was the restart with the headphones plugged in? Did you do the toothpick thing? Come back if it acts up again!

yehkemon

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2012
Check Mute Setting in System Preferences

Go to System Preferences--> Sound--> Output... when you plug in your headphones, does the device change from 'Internal Speakers' to 'Headphones'?
I'm assuming you've tried a different pair of headphones already...

I thought my headphone jack was broken for a month until I checked this panel and saw that the 'Mute' checkbox became checked as soon as I plugged in my headphones!

ld1985

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
I thought my headphone jack was broken for a month until I checked this panel and saw that the 'Mute' checkbox became checked as soon as I plugged in my headphones!

Same thing here! I didn't realize until I read this post that somehow the mute box became checked...Thank you! I use my mac book with a monitor and keyboard as a desktop....So the internal speakers weren't cutting it for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.