New 1TB HDD question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Habitus, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

All,

I recently purchased a new 1TB HDD for my 13" 2.26GHz (2GB RAM Mid 2009) MBP.

I cloned (using carbon copy) my new hard drive using the previous drive. However, I do notice long load times when powering my Mac. Also, I still experience slow load times when running applications; especially iTunes (361GB library). I have 512GB of free space.

Would performing a clean install and then using time machine to reload my old information improve my Mac's overall performance?

Lastly, I recently purchased a RAM upgrade from OWC, could this help with my Mac's overall performance despite? I don't run any applications that (I would think) requires more than 2GB of RAM.

Thanks,

Habitus :apple:

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would try resetting SMC and PRAM plus repairing permissions with Disk Utility. May be that those will be enough to make it faster. iTunes still takes long time to load because there is so much data that it has to read. The 1TB is 5400rpm (or 5200rpm) so it's not the fastest HD though its density helps

3. Habitus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Thanks for the quick response!

How do you reset the SMC and PRAM? I'm repairing permissions right now using Disk Utility.

Thanks for your help!

Habitus :apple:

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

5. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Go to "startup disk" in system utilities. Make sure it's set correctly.

Also, if you replaced a 7200rpm drive with a 5400... it will spin slower. (But it shouldn't make that much of a difference).

6. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

If that doesn't work, you may want to try a clean install, but if your system was working fine before and you haven't had it all that long, it shouldn't make a big difference. How much slower is it if you had to estimate?

7. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Sorry to say it, it's gonna be slow. Theres nothing wrong with your system or drive. It's designed this way and it's really only gonna be this slow. It'll be slower once you start filling up more stuff and fragging the files.