New 1TB WD Drive Not Compatible?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Bonesone4, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Bonesone4 macrumors regular

I just purchased this internal 1TB drive yesterday,

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8909595&type=product&id=1213047091732

and installed it into my power mac G5 that's running tiger, not leopard quite yet. When I booted it up I got a pop up that said something like "drive installed is not compatible."

????

I know I installed this thing right and when I open up disk utility it recognizes the drive. I'm not sure what to do from there. Am I doing anything wrong? Do I seriously need to update to Leopard because of this? This is the first time I've ever installed an internal drive before so, I was under the impression that once booted it would just appear on my desktop as another drive that I could name. Am I wrong?

2. mcnicks macrumors regular

You might need to repartition it and change the partition scheme. I do not have a Mac near me right now, but if you go into the partition bit of the Disk Utility, there should be an options button that will allow you to select GUID (for Intel Macs) or Apple (for PPC Macs) partitioning schemes.

3. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I always do an erase on any new drives that I insatll. Just select the drive inside disk utility and click erase. It will ask you a few questions about what you would like to make the drive and the formatting. When it finishes it should be able to mount. Most internal drives come formatted for windows so you have to go through this step. Good luck.

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Funny you should say this cause it works perfectly on a MacPro and I've seen them to work fine ont G5's too! I've three of them.
    May I ask what formatting method/partition tables you using?
    I know GUID Partition tables only work with INTEL based Mac's and therefore will be incompatible with PowerPC's... Try reinitializing using the APPLE scheme.

5. Bonesone4 thread starter macrumors regular

My G5 is an older desktop I know that so it's most likely a powerPC. I havent delved into the disk utility yet. I was confused/scared to do something wrong so I stopped and posted here :)

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

For peace of mind, there's nothing you can do in Disk Utilities to cause damage to the drive - unless you power off, while it's formatting - it'll most likely to cause the drive heads to force park/crash!! :eek: and I think only a moron would do that, or in a freak accident you have a blackout!

Other than that, everything is safe, especially on a empty drive!
    Don't be afraid to experiment. You'll learn more about your system's capabilities. :)

7. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

I have bought quite a few hard drives, and every one came formatted as FAT32. You can read it and write to it from a Mac, but you cannot load the Mac OS on it. To do that, you must format it as HFS+ using Disk Utility. You will be fine using Tiger.

8. DualShock macrumors 6502

You will always see that msg when you install a brand new drive.

As the other folks in this thread have mentioned, you will need to format and/or partition the drive in Disk Utility.

9. Bonesone4 thread starter macrumors regular

See that's what I don't understand. I have to install Tiger on the thing???

10. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

Since you boot from another internal HD, you do not need to install Tiger on the new HD that is formatted as FAT32, which is a Windows 98 format. The new Windows HD format is NTSF.

To get the most efficiency from the new HD, it is recommended to format it as HFS+ Journaled.

11. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

No, you are not going to be installing Tiger on it-- you are just going to be using the "erase" tab in Disk Utility on your system (that happens to be running Tiger).

The erasing will prepare the disk to be used by OSX, be it Tiger, Leopard, etc. Just be sure to select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) when you erase it- then it should mount normally on the desktop when you quit Disk Utility.

BTW- Just for clarification, the "Erase" tab in Disk Utility is what people above were referring to as formatting. Disk Utility refers to it as erasing.

12. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

OK..
    Let me ask you something....

If you was using the drive on a regular windows machine, would you be installing Windows on every single physical drive you install into the box?

Or would you run some disk utility that'll format/re-format the drive's surface and create partitions suitable for the OS??

Cause this would also apply to the Mac too!!

13. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

The drive you bought was probably pre-formatted with Windows' NTFS.

Just reformat ("erase" or "partition") using Disk Utility. Choose "HFS+ journaled" as the format for your drive. You do not need to install MacOS on the drive.