New 2.0 GHz or old 2.4 Ghz MacBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kcharm, Oct 14, 2008.

1. kcharm macrumors newbie

Is the black plastic 2.4 GHz machine faster or slower than the new 2.0 GHz machine?

I'm pretty excited about the new machine but am concerned that with the price points being what they are, I can't afford the new 2.4 GHz MacBook...I could afford that processor speed with the old black one though. I can afford the new 2.0 GHz machine.

Either way, I'm buying it to use GIS software on. This does not render shadows or 3-D effects and therefore I don't 'need' the bigger graphics card of the pro AND I want the smaller form factor of the MacBook. GIS cannot be run in OSX btw so I'll be running Fusion or dual booting (not sure yet, I need to play with it).

4GB of RAM is a must with this software.

But, what I want to get opinions on is, with the larger FSB, will I see similar or even better performance from the new 2.0 GHz machine with the bigger FSB or from the faster processor of the older 2.4 GHz machine with the slower FSB?

thoughts?

2. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

that is what i want to know. i know 4 gb for blackbook is like $30 after rebates. 4gb for new one is like $140

3. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

I think you'll be okay either way. I would probably recommend the new one 2.0 Ghz because of the better video chip (I think that will help with GIS software). It may not be as fast as the 2.4Ghz macbook plastic, but I think the speed difference would be minor...

4. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

Plus, I think RAM will come down for the new macbook in a matter of months

5. dougnewman macrumors 6502

The improved graphics may well be more important than the faster processor.

I'd go with the new one.