New 2.13GHz SSD MBA - keep or trade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by smchan, Nov 3, 2009.

  1. smchan macrumors member

    Jul 22, 2008
    I just won a 2.13GHz SSD MBA in a sweepstakes. I'm shocked I won b/c I usually enter these things, forget about them and never hear anything back. I currently have an early 2008 17" MBP which is impossible to use on an airplane in coach so I was considering a 13" or 15" MBP for the smaller size, bigger battery life and - in the case of the 15" - the possibility of having 8G memory.

    My primary concerns when traveling are ability to use the machine in coach and battery life for longer trips between recharging. I do email, writing, presentations, and very light photo (Photoshop) and video editing (Premiere Pro) when traveling. I will occasionally boot Winodows in Fusion, as well.

    Should I keep the MBA or sell it in order to buy a smaller MBP?

  2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem


    Feb 19, 2005
    I would trade for a 13" MBP only because you mentioned premier. And wow, what a great prize. I love the MBAir but you seem to need slightly more ram.
  3. halledise macrumors 65816

    May 7, 2009
    Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    agree with jessica - go for a top of the range 13" MBPro and select the SSD option.
    they are soundless and faster than a 5400rpm spinner.
    then you can max out the memory from 4gb to 8gb at your leisure - if you find you have a need for it.

    the 128gb SSD should be sufficient w/o going to the expense of the 256gb SSD, as an external 250gb drive are cheap as chips these days (sorry: 'chips' = 'fries' to you yanks)
  4. tubbymac macrumors 65816


    Nov 6, 2008
    I'd sell it and get a MBP 13. The extra battery life on the MBP versus the MBA is extremely handy to have on flights. You'll worry less about trying to find a power outlet.

    I have mine paired with a SSD and it's amazing for traveling.
  5. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

    Mar 26, 2009
    A couple of people have talked about taking the 13" pro and putting SSD , how much did it cost? was it easy to do?

    I am REALLY looking forward to a MBA with 4gb ram, SSD and better battery....I have the pro13" and was playing with my ssd 2.13 air and DAMN I still like it lol, I love the trackpad on pro too
  6. PsyD4Me macrumors 6502a


    Mar 11, 2009
    under your bed
    on my MBA i could get about 4.5 hours while i think real world numbers for the MBP are what about 6.5? so if a few extra hours are more important than form factor (as it is much easier to lug around a MBA) go for it, but than again having two MBP's is kinda overkill. I find that diversification makes life more fun
  7. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

    Jun 8, 2008
    Based on what you are using the computer for, I agree with many here, the top of the 13 MBP is your best bet.
  8. smchan thread starter macrumors member

    Jul 22, 2008
    I received notification on Tuesday that the MBA I won will be ordered this week and sent to me. I'm excited. :) I was tempted to ask for a substition for a MBP13 w/ SSD but the contest rules specifically said no prize substitutions.

    I still haven't decided whether to keep or trade/sell for a MBP13 - though still strongly leaning towards some form of new MBP. As previously mentioned, I have an older MBP17 (employer supplied) and a Mac Pro (personal workstation). My wife has a MBP15 that I bought for her about 6 weeks ago and she's considering a trade for the MBA - in which case I'll retire my MBP17. If I keep the MBA or trade for a MBP13, then I'll maintain it as a travel machine only. She only does email, light photo editing, etc and I think she'd like the MBA if she can get used to the 13" screen. We're going by the local Apple store tomorrow so she can try one out.

    I do video editing as a hobby and software development as a profession, so the thought of a machine with 8G memory is very appealing. I know I'd like the long battery life as well as my MBP17 barely last 3 hours on battery.

  9. smchan thread starter macrumors member

    Jul 22, 2008
    An update

    I received my MacBook Air today. I actually received the 1.86GHz model with a 120G hard drive - not the SSD model I was expecting. No worries, free is free. :) Anyways, I took the machine to the Apple Store and they graciously let me swap for a 13" 2.53GHz MacBook Pro. Since the 13" MBP cost the same as the MBA I won - it was an even swap with no money out of pocket.

    I really liked the MBA and had I received the SSD model, I would've probably kept it. Anyways, I'm sure I'll be happy with the extra memory and battery life on the MBP as well.

    Thanks, all, for your help.

  10. bmstrong macrumors 6502a

    May 30, 2007

Share This Page