New 2.26Ghz (2009) and some questions

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tribe3, Sep 22, 2009.

1. tribe3 macrumors 6502

hey folks,

I've been away from here for quite a while so I lost the string of events...

Today in an impulse I ordered a 2.26 octo with 8 gigs of memory and the Ati 4870.

Will I need more RAM than with my actual 2006 3ghz x4 to run photoshop? Will I notice any significant speed increase...? Sorry if this is very old news for you guys; I did a search and found nothing comparing these 2 machines.

Any other tip to optimize the machine are welcome.

Bests!

2. macinfojunkie macrumors regular

macinfojunkie

Congrats!. I just purchase similar machine via refurb on impulse too! :D

I think Photoshop will struggle to use more than 3. something Gb so depends what else you use at the some time as to how much RAM you'll need I suppose. I think the next version of Photoshop CS will probably be able to take advantage of a lot more RAM.

3. tribe3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Congrats and enjoy! I don't work with huge files on PSCS4 so the actual 3 max seems to do OK. Rarely I notice the use of the scratch (now with snow Leop I cant use a scratch...) Also I'm starting to use Adobe premier and after effects now that DSLRs are capable of video but I'm still on diapers on that. I'm "borrowing" my son's copy of those programs to see if I will get hooked.

I'll see how it goes with the 8gigs of RAM and if I start to pageout I'll add more

4. CSHawkeye81 macrumors member

enjoy your new rigs, they sold fast on the site as I don't see any anymore available.

5. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

As for CS4, you might actually see a decrease in performance on the new system. Until Adobe lets photoshop take advantage of multi-core processing, sadly PS relies on single core clock speed. The RAM intensive tasks will be much faster on the new machine, as it is no longer using crappy 667 MHz laptop-grade modules like the 2006 model. If you need more, you can always slide two more 2 GB chips into the empty slots for 8 GB =).

Enjoy the new MP!

6. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

Huh? What?

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

"Scratch" is tribe3's shorthand for scratch disk.

8. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

Yea,I get that ,but I dont get the "now with snow leopard I cant use a scratch" part. Like,wtf?

9. tribe3 thread starter macrumors 6502

My PS CS4 does not open if I have a scratch disk selected... I had to do this

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2216576

I didn't notice a fix from Adobe yet

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

What do you have set as the scratch disk? And internal or external?

11. tribe3 thread starter macrumors 6502

A 500GB internal

12. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

I feel sorry for you,mang.
    Un-frigging-beliavable...

I finally updated my photo workstation from tiger to leopard couple of weeks ago (hey,it is 10.5.8 after all!!) and lost my raid. I have a "distant" feeling thet is is going to take a year or two before I will start to think about going snowleopard...

13. juskin macrumors newbie

im between buying a single and dual processor mac pro, so if CS4 doesnt take advantage of two processors which apps do, just apple applications? and also isnt there supposed to be a new batch coming out soon? my imac just crapped out on me and I need a machine asap, not sure how much longer I can wait...