New 2.4 MBP -or- Previous Gen 2.6 MBP for $100 less???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by drummingcraig, Feb 3, 2009.

1. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

I'm having a dilemma here and I'm hoping some of you can chime in to help sway me one way or the other...

I'm very close to replacing my aging 15" 1.25Ghz PB G4. I love the look and feel of the new MBP's and would be perfectly happy with the entry level model which can be had from MacMall for ~$1,770 (after rebate).

However, I could also grab a previous gen 15" MBP with the 2.6 Ghz Intel Core 2, along with a 200GB 7200rpm HD for ~$1,699 (after rebate).

The only major downside to the older MBP is the drive being 200GB vs. 250GB in the newer one, but I feel like I'd be getting more bang for my buck with the older model. I love the idea of the easily swappable HD in the new model, but at the same time I'm not scared of having to crack open the older MBP to change the drive if need be (I've done it on my PB no sweat).

I primarily use my laptop for web, email, some lite web design/mgmt, music & video editing and some "lite" gaming.

Aside from the esthetical factors, I'm really unsure where to go with this. :confused:

Any opinions/insight/advice out there?

Cheers,

Craig

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I personally think the newer model is sturdier and probably last a longer time; that said the older model is better value.

3. Liquidpics macrumors member

Liquidpics

Go for the 2.6

I think it will last just as long, probably longer, as it has no glass to shatter all over the place. It has better specs and the 200GB hard drive is faster.

4. ZAK248313 macrumors member

5. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

Go new. Same(ish) price, better performance, better resale value later on, and no 8600m graphics card... which is faulty. That's assuming you don't want matte.

6. kis macrumors 65816

If you're planning on getting a glossy screen anyway, go with the new one. If you prefer matte screens, by all means get the old one. I really hated the reflections on the new MBP

peter