Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PCM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2005
Hi..I just reserved a dual 2.5 stock computer for purchase tomorrow...I was hoping to have BT module installed. Will Apple install this at the store or is that not an option and will I have to use that D-Link BT adapter?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I don't actually know about PMs (on the laptops, it is not something that can be readily installed at the store or by the user), but I was just wondering...do any PCI BT cards work on a PM, since it has slots?

PCM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2005
Chip NoVaMac said:
I was wondering the same thing. Been tempted by the blow out pricing on some of the older PM G5's.
same thought process I had. And, unfortunately, they are not "older" tech-wise compared to the "updated" g5's.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
PCM said:
same thought process I had. And, unfortunately, they are not "older" tech-wise compared to the "updated" g5's.

Why is that an unfortunate thing? :(

Ooh, found you some reading material, dear:

http://tersus.no/bluetooth/

It is a guide on how to install the BT module in a PMG5...so at least then you'll know how complicated it is. Still doubt the store does it for you on the day of purchase, though. :(

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i believe the only in store upgrades are ram and airport cards. i think BT has to be a BTO option, which you can only do online.

might just be easier to get a USB dongle instead of going through the hassle

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
With the PM G5, you end up having something sticking out of the back of the machine whether or not it's internal -- though one takes up the external USB port instead of the internal USB connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.