New 2.5 MBP got VERY hot during WinXP install

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dawgfang, Mar 7, 2008.

1. dawgfang macrumors member

I picked up my new MBP yesterday and decided to install bootcamp and Win XP last night. The bottom of the computer got extremely hot in the middle towards the rear during installation. I had played with the unit in OSX for a while and temps seemed fine (bottom was cool to the touch) and fans were at 2000 rpm. I haven't done anything in OSX yet to stress it so I can't tell how the temps will react when I can actually measure them (no way to tell in Win XP installation).
    Everything I have read suggests that the new MBPs run cooler than ever even under stress. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, the fans do ramp up even during the Win XP installation. I downloaded a fan control program in OSX to test them and they will go up to 6k.
    Any help or suggestions is appreciated. Also, is 2k rpm normal for these new MBPs?

2. carcass29 macrumors newbie

same here...I did the Bootcamp install to XP last night and noticed it was hot to the touch to the right of the pad on mine, I also have the same model as yours.

3. mgacam2 macrumors regular

mgacam2

If it's your first Macbook Pro, then you havn't encountered the lovely uncomfortably warm heat that it produces when doing intensive tasks. If I'm installing windows or playing a game, heat will radiate though the keyboard and the bottom of the laptop can't be touched for very long. Apple uses the casing as part of the cooling system. It's one reason why the laptop is so thin. You'll get a customed to it quickly.:cool:

4. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Mac laptop users develop a rather strange walk .. it comes from toasted "conkers" .. :eek:

ps
    you will soon get used to the heat .. :)

5. cmm26red macrumors regular

I would not be to concerned about this. Having exchanged a newly bought Merom MBP for a Penryn one, I can tell you first hand that they do in fact run cooler. I use istat in OSX and all the components run cooler and it seems like the heat is dispersed better through the chase on the 4,1 model compared to the 3,1. The Merom machine left red spots on my thighs when I used it on my lap, making it intolerable as a "laptop." The Penryn on the other hand does not burn me, even when doing some processor intensive apps.

I am running Vista via boot camp and from my experience, the machine runs quite hotter in Vista compared to OSX. I have not found a way to monitor component temps in vista so this assumption is based on 1. The machine just feels hotter and 2. when I switch back to OSX the CPU and GPU temps drop from the 60's down to the 50's (Celsius). I heard, but cannot confirm, that the fans run idle at 1000rpm in Vista compared to 2000rpm is OSX. This may account for some of the reason why it runs hotter in Vista. Also, Vista is a more "resource" intensive OS, meaning the components have to work harder just to run the OS.

As for fan speed, 2000rpm is idle in OSX, so you are fine there. If anyone knows of and istat like program that allows me to monitor all the systems components in Vista, I am all ears. Hope this helps,

cmm26red

6. dawgfang thread starter macrumors member

Thank you all for the replies. I feel much better now!!

7. new-Mac-owner macrumors regular

Well the bigest reason is its (WINDOWS) haha -But i have had same problems.:apple:

8. erikistired macrumors 6502

erikistired

yeah anytime i use the dvd it seems to get pretty hot on the right side.

9. RichL macrumors 6502

It's not built to run windows.

10. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

It's meant to run windows as much as a dell.

11. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Silly me .... I thought they were designed for running Mac OS ... :eek:

12. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

Actually, it is. Virtually any computer running on x86 hardware is capable of running virtually any x86 operating system. Intel Macs = x86 hardware. Windows = x86 operating system. Bootcamp just acts as a bootloader--it doesn't change anything about the hardware or Windows in order to make it run.

People pick on Dell because it is an easy target. After working in PC/Mac repair for a few years, I can honestly say that on average hardware for any manufacturer is just as likely to fail at any given time. Even better is that nearly all problems are caused by the user and then blamed on a faulty computer (doesn't know how to do X, accidentally erased Y, dropped the laptop). You have no idea how many times people drop their laptops and then are reluctant to admit that is why it is not working. I don't care who built the laptop, but if you drop it from high enough enough times, it WILL break.

Dell gets a bad rap because they sell computers with the bare minimum amount of ram and slower components. I have to say this is not true across all product lines, and that you get what you pay for. Don't get a $200 base model which includes speakers and a monitor and expect to have a screaming fast computer.

I love my Mac just as much as anyone else, but that doesn't mean my computer is superior to any other computer, besides that it can run OS X. =)

13. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

Which makes it better :D