new 2.66 quad - 1st time startup...problem

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by switchrider, Apr 23, 2009.

1. switchrider macrumors newbie

I recieved my new quad 2.66 mac pro on Tuesday :) but have not been able to turn it on as my monitor hasn't arrived yet :(...
    Someone in work left early today so being impatient I thought I could 'borrow' their monitor for a couple of hours! I connected up the viewsonic vx2255 with a standard DVI cable and started the mac up... Everything seemed fine - grey screen came on with spinning thingy then screen went black. I heard in the headphones 'English' and thats it. The monitor is just black but the mac pro is still purring away :confused:
    I've tried reconnecting cables etc. but no joy... is there a safe way to turn the mac off or should I leave it running till new monitor arrives? Any help would be great - thanks in advance...

2. switchrider thread starter macrumors newbie

It turns out the graphics card was faulty. Apple are sending me out a new replacement machine - must say they were really helpful... still have to wait a couple of days but I've waited 7yrs to upgrade from this Dell Dimension!

3. dvince2 macrumors 6502

dvince2

Wow that would suck :S. Good to hear that the problem was resolved. How long did it take from the phone call to the time the graphic card was recieved?