Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

computerjunkie

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
Well I went ahead and bought a new imac. I am one of "those" long time pc users trying to make the transition...and do I need some help.

Since this is a transition for me, I want to load windows xp using bootcamp (I want the speed and don't need to quickly switch back and forth...hence bootcamp) and I am going to have to go buy a copy of windows. All of my current copies are oem types that came with the different pc I have.

So, what do I need to get. I have seen (on macmall and the like) OEM versions, Retail versions, and others. So, which one do I need?

Also, I have to admit, I am having a little trouble with the transition just because things are "different". In fact, for awhile I debated on not even keeping the new imac. But I was hoping I could ease some of my stress by having Windows to fall back to during the transition period. So, that being the case, will I be able to use windows for "everything" I previously did or will I have some limitations?

For example, with the new imac I got final cut express...knowing it had a steep learning curve, but I have been using adobe premiere elements so I thought I could handle it. And I can, buts its gonna take a little longer than I hoped. So in the meantime I need to keep using adobe premiere elements. So this begs the question: can I capture video into windows adobe premiere elements using the firewire ports on the imac? I guess what I am asking is will windows be able to use the physical ports on the imac? I guess its a driver question isn't it?

Sorry for the lengthy post and I will stop now. But I could go on all day asking various questions in referrence to this "transition period". I don't know...I wonder if I should just back track and not attempt the switch at this point.

Regards,

G.
Stressed Switcher

bertpalmer

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2007
So you bought a mac and now want to use mainly XP on it?

If I were you I would invest some time in learning how to use OSX. I think if you start using XP then then it will take longer to learn and use OSX properly so it wouldn't be a useful investment of your time.

Also it would mean having to buy XP when you have an OS that you can use.

AlexisV

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Manchester, UK
All of my current copies are oem types that came with the different pc I have.

I'd try all the versions you have at the moment. One might work. Any OEM or retail version with SP2 should be ok.

Any specific problems with OS X we can help with?

computerjunkie

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
I hear what you all are saying and I agree. My use of XP would simply be for the transistion period. I know OSX is better, as is mac hardware...hence why I want to make the switch. Its just that I can't learn it in one day. Nor can I learn Final Cut Express in one day. And while I learn, I still have to "operate" my day to day life/stuff.

I do use my computers for work, and diving in feet first into OSX could cause me to have a situation where I need to to "A" which can be done on my mac, but I don't know how. The situation requires I get "A" done now, and I can't figure out how on OSX. Hence the reason for the "backup" XP. If I hit a wall and the issue is time critical, I can always jump over to XP, handle it, and life goes on. And in the meantime, I learn how to do "A" without the "time critical" factor hanging over my head.

I guess the short version is, like many others, I live and breath by my computers. If I make a full on instant switch, I am afraid of running into something that hangs me up...and then I can't live or breath.

Regards,

G.
Scuba Diver

computerjunkie

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
I'd try all the versions you have at the moment. One might work. Any OEM or retail version with SP2 should be ok.

I think I used an incorrect term here. I think OEM is not correct. They are those "all in one" restore type disks...which I know will not work. So what do I need to get? OEM? Retail? I just use these terms cause those are the ones I have seen at places like macmall etc. Each which different prices I might add...sometimes substantially different.

Regards,

G.
Dictionary Author

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
There are still questions about the legality of useing OEM versions and to be honest I don't really have a point of view on this issue. However they work. The retail version has no legal issues but they are far more expensive.

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
computerjunkie said:
I think I used an incorrect term here. I think OEM is not correct. They are those "all in one" restore type disks...which I know will not work. So what do I need to get? OEM? Retail? I just use these terms cause those are the ones I have seen at places like macmall etc. Each which different prices I might add...sometimes substantially different.

Regards,

G.
Dictionary Author

actually, OEM licensed software is different from a System Restore disk. You are referring to a System Restore disk that doesn't actually include an installable OS, just a disk image of the original disk with the OS already installed. an OEM license is usually an installable OS disk, only it is supposed to be sold only with new systems or major hardware purchases (i.e. a motherboard/processor combo).

czachorski

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
If I make a full on instant switch, I am afraid of running into something that hangs me up...and then I can't live or breath.

Regards,

G.
Scuba Diver

I hear what you are saying, but I in 6 years since switching, I very very rarely run into a hang. When I first switched, any potential hangs, and I would just go to the forums and find many ways to do it just fine on the Mac.

I think you have bitten off a lot with switching AND going to FCE. What kind of video editing do you do? Simple home stuff, pro stuff, single camera, multi-camera. I have fiddled with FCE and it to be absolutely necessary for multi-camera editing. For all my personal home video stuff, iMovie works amazingly well.

ewilson6

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2006
run Boot camp on your mac and install windows XP if you own a copy.

You will be able to use all of the ports on windows because bootcamp installs all the drivers for you.

Yes with a Mac you get the best of both worlds (Well you know when 2 worlds collide)

--Eric

TXCraig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Houston, TX
If you want to be 100% legal on this, you will have to purchase the "full version" of Windows XP.

Amazon has the full version of XP Home for 189.99 and Professional for 269.99

OEM versions (the kind you purchase with a PC) are licensed to run on that computer (CPU) only and you can't "move" the license from that machine to another. The OS is "married" to that machine forever and is valid for the life of the machine. That is why you get a restore disk from the OEM (original equipment mfg) and not the off the shelf XP media. Restore disks usually look to make sure the hardware the right MFG before it will let you install the software.

Upgrades will not work because it looks for the installed version of Windows.

That said- nothing is stopping you from download the bit torrant version and getting a hacked key to install it.

Carressa

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2008
I just went through this myself. Here is what I did. The transition was easy and pretty much painless.

My job requires me to run some windows-only based applications. This was handled easily by installing VMware Fusion. It's fast and it has worked flawlessly for me in all the applications that I run in it. Best of all there is no booting to Windows to use it. Windows runs within the VMware Fusion application window inside of Mac OS X. Now, if it's windows based games that you want to run, then you're going to have to use bootcamp which I also have setup. VMware will be able to find your windows partition and you will have access to it when your in OSX but you will still not be able to run games from there. You will have to reboot into windows to run windows games. VMware is not the only software of its kind it just happens to be the one I use and I am familar with. VMware has a trial version get it and try it out. Trust me it will make your switching awhole lot easier and you will never have to worry about breathing ;)

P.S
I forgot to mention... I don't think I will ever go back to PC and that is something I never thought I would say :)

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
I do use my computers for work, and diving in feet first into OSX could cause me to have a situation where I need to to "A" which can be done on my mac, but I don't know how. The situation requires I get "A" done now, and I can't figure out how on OSX. Hence the reason for the "backup" XP. If I hit a wall and the issue is time critical, I can always jump over to XP, handle it, and life goes on. And in the meantime, I learn how to do "A" without the "time critical" factor hanging over my head.

I guess the short version is, like many others, I live and breath by my computers. If I make a full on instant switch, I am afraid of running into something that hangs me up...and then I can't live or breath.

mac os x is not confusing or counter-intuitive like windows can be. you're assuming you'll run into big problems before you actually do. have more faith in your intuition, which has already lead you to switching over... now it's time to be a mac user, not a distrusting and frustrated windows user. i'm sure you'll be fine.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I hear what you all are saying and I agree. My use of XP would simply be for the transistion period...

If you want to transition, then forget bootcamp and install Windows (once you get a copy) under VMFusion, so you can quickly switch back and forth and move files back and forth. Then you can install all your Windows stuff and yet quickly try the Mac OS counterparts, and accumulate equivalent Mac software at your leisure.

PNW

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
VMware makes a free product called VMware converter http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/ It will clone your existing windows install into a virtual machine that you can then run with VM Fusion. I have no idea how legal this is. However M$ has loosened the restrictions on licensing virtual XP machines over the years.

Relis

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2008
Well, it helps if you just jump into it like I did (got my mbp 2 days ago, never used osx, and already its as comfortable/easier to use than windows)
Still installed windows though, for the games, but the time ive spent on windows so far (not counting playing games) doing stuff like browsing was about 2 mins which is pretty much nothing compared to the time spent doing the same stuff on osx.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.