New 2.8ghz Mac Pro is one Cool Mother

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by macenforcer, Jan 20, 2008.

1. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Doing normal work on my mac pro 2.8ghz stock and checked the temps with istat pro and the cpus are at 29c. Even feeling the back of the machine there is like lukewarm air coming out the back. Amazing. These machines are the sweet spot when you consider price, performance and power usage. My 8-core 3ghz last revision put out more heat and the cpus I think ran at 45c idle.

Northbridge is at 37c. Now that is really good. Used to be around 70c I believe.

Pretty amazed.

2. Norco macrumors regular

Are you sure it used to be 70c? Thats 158f, most computer equipment seems to shut down if it gets near that hot.

3. macenforcer thread starter macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Yep. Positive. Found where I wrote it down. Also on my old 8-core 3ghz mac pro the memory modules where 69c and 65c and now they are 55c and 50c.

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

My MB regularly get hotter than 70C when on full bore, my iMac G5 went up to 102C sometimes. 70C is not that hot for the processor to get.

I'm surprised that it idles at 45 but I suppose that is testament to the cooling system design.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Intel talked about the memory and how they worked with vendors to bring the temps down.

If the chipset went with the die shrink it should have also dipped, haven't looked too hard at the Intel 5400 documents.

6. absolution macrumors member

I would presume then that the noise level (fans, HDDs) is still considerably low?

7. Toups macrumors regular

The 2.8 runs MUCH cooler than the previous 3.0 and the newer 3.2 by 50% due to the use of the "E" or "energy efficient" line of Xeon processors introduced by intel for the go green initiative.

Basically, you have the same heat sinks, fans and cubic feet but a heat source that is only 66% max of the standard Xeon processors. Also, I remember one of our thermal engineers showing me a lab test where the Xeon X at idle run at 75% of the max thermal value of the E processors.

8. peejack macrumors 6502a

Yep, I have one cool mother here too.

After a day of usage:

[​IMG]
    :D:D

9. TripleCore macrumors regular

My Dual 2.3GHz G5 runs around that for both chips.

Of course, my office is baking in the summer, so the new MP means I might not need to get an AC.

10. Trishul macrumors regular

Trishul

I sold my Quad G5 over a year ago, and that was one noisy hot beast.. just got my new mac pro this morning, and while i'd read plenty about how quiet it was, i really didn't expect it to be as quiet as my macbook pro, my external hard drives (which i chose for their low noise levels) are louder than the Mac Pro... we'll see how much cooler and quiter it is when i had the hard drives and memory.. but so far am VERY impressed, only the optical drive lets it down.. but i've yet to find a quiet one of those!!

11. Play4keeps macrumors regular

12. grish2 macrumors newbie

can someon take a pic of the cooling piece ?

hello,

can someon take a pic of the cooling piece ? it must be possible to upgrade the "old";) macpro !

13. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

My fans are still kind of noisy. Any suggestions for bring the speeds down? While my fans are quiet, they are much louder than my MBP (when it isn't in Harrier jet mode).

14. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

2.8Ghz mac pro here, northbridge and cpu's only seen highest at 121F but mostly at 72F-98F 90% of the time ;)

15. Cromas macrumors member

Cromas

i love anais and macs, mine are coold

16. nick9191 macrumors 68040

85c more like. Notebooks are even worse, had mine running at 97c before when using handbrake on a hot day.