NEW 2 Mac<< Upgrading to Snow Leapord?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JoshV11889, Jun 29, 2009.

1. JoshV11889 macrumors newbie

First time forum user, I apologize if wrong section.

I just purchased my first mac and I begun to purchase software for it like Office and adobe CS. My question, when the new snow leopard releases; will software be compatible with the new Operating system? Or did I just waste alot of money?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You'll be fine. You wasted money on Office, though. You should have purchased iWork. ;)

3. JoshV11889 thread starter macrumors newbie

well why didnt anyone tell me !

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe those software packages won't work in Snow Leopard (SL). SL is a fat-trimmed Leopard, it didn't make huge changes that would effect those apps, at least not negatively.

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Snow Leopard (also referred to as SL in the forums) is basically Leopard, but enhanced. All of your apps will work.

6. JoshV11889 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool, thanks.
    I purchased Office 2004 new for $50 on ebay, do you think the older version should still be fine. It said it is compatible with OS X

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Yes.

8. JoshV11889 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone, these forums are a lot more helpful and kind than the forums Im use to. (Halo) haha

9. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

Isn't SL on the same binary or something as Leopard?

You will be fine. I'm new too and I LOVE my macbook pro. Its the best computer I have every owned. There's a 1 or so week learning time and these forums helped me sooo much. Good Luck :D

10. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

That is incorrect. The apps the OP mentioned will work, but assuming all of someone's apps will work is just wrong. We've got the latest Snow Leopard build on a machine at the office and there are a small handful of applications that do not work (not very mainstream apps though). It will be up to application developers to make sure their apps work in 10.6.

11. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

well why didn't anyone ask :D

12. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

In order to get Office 2004 to work you'll have to do an advanced install of Snow Leopard. By default, SL does not have Rosetta, it's an optional install you have to pick. Office 2004 is a PPC application, not an Intel/Universal application. In order for it to run you'll need to install Rosetta.

I'm sure details like that will be made available when it gets closer to SL release date.

13. Sambo110 macrumors 68000

Haha, yeah, you should of gotten iWork. And they should still work in SL, like everyone said.

14. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

I'm using SL WWDC beta and almost every leopard application work with it

15. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

From what I've gathered on Snow Leopard development, the Java default is now Java 6. If any Java-based applications you use require and expect Java 5, they might break. Most will work without any issues, though.

16. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

Like someone said, you'll have to install Rosetta to run this. It will also run a lot slower and less efficient than if you had Office 2008. I've been using 2004 for 3 years now and it's a pain to run. I rarely use it, that's why I haven't upgraded to 2008. I'm running a trial of 2008 and it runs a lot better, but I can't bring myself to spend $100 on something I hardly ever use.

What I do is do my work in iWork, export to a MS Office file type, and then open Office to ensure everything's lined up properly. I guess when SL comes out, I can just take it to work to put the finishing touches on it.