Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2007
Hi,

I bought the new iMac and I noticed some display issues. When I set the screen to just black only, I can see some backlight bleeding on the bottom and the top. I can only see it when the i set the whole screen to black colour and I switch all the lights off in my room. I went to the Apple store and exchange the iMac for another one but this one has exactly the same problem. I also checked some iMacs at the Apple store but as the store had lights fully on, I couldn't really see anything.
What do you guys think? Here are some pics :

Attachments

• 24082007043.jpg
    24082007043.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 246
  • 24082007045.jpg
    24082007045.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 355

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
Umm... I'm no expert here, but the iMacs don't have LED backlighting yet, they're still flourescent. Shouldn't that be normal? (I really hope it is, 'cause I just ordered one of those suckers :D)

DTG

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2003
UK
I can only see it when the i set the whole screen to black colour and I switch all the lights off in my room.

So where's the problem?

I presume this doesn't effect watching DVDs and the like from what you've said.

If that's all you can find wrong with the machine then consider yourself lucky and remain content with the very excellent computer that you have.

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2007
well, when i watch a movie that has the black lines (don't know how you call it) on the bottom and the top then I get the same problem. It's less obvious thought as your eye is tricked by the colour and light from the movie but the uneven backlighting is still there.
I don't consider myself lucky when I have 22" display with my pc that has perfect backlighting. Why should i be happy with such a huge leak?

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I'm surprised that the Apple store exchanged it. That's backlight leakage and it's very normal. I had a 23" Cinema display and it had the white blotches all over it from top to bottom. You couldn't see it at the Apple stores because there's too much bright light and there's hardly a way to see the backlight leakage. It doesn't get any worse because it's not a flaw but it shows up more on larger screens.

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2007
I'm surprised that the Apple store exchanged it. That's backlight leakage and it's very normal. I had a 23" Cinema display and it had the white blotches all over it from top to bottom. You couldn't see it at the Apple stores because there's too much bright light and there's hardly a way to see the backlight leakage. It doesn't get any worse because it's not a flaw but it shows up more on larger screens.

Are you serious? You would be happy with this one? And why is it that my LG L226W has nearly none of it. There is tiny tiny 3mm on the top (nothing on the bottom) so why can't Apple do it like other companies can?

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Are you serious? You would be happy with this one? And why is it that my LG L226W has nearly none of it. There is tiny tiny 3mm on the top (nothing on the bottom) so why can't Apple do it like other companies can?

I didn't say I would be happy with it rather I am just accepting the inevitable. It doesn't look bad and it won't affect his usage of the computer. That comes from the effects of the florescent tubes. Those are just the type of panels Apple orders.

CajunCARTFan

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2007
I've never had a notebook or LCD that didn't have this problem, whether it was an alienware, dell, or others. It is just part of having LCD's.

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2007
Little update: I played around with color sync and created new profiles. After some testing i realized that I don't like those profiles, so I set it up to the presets. I updated the iMac to be up-to-date and here is a result. I can't explain what really fixed it but the back lighting is nearly perfect. Here is a screenshot. :)

You need to rotate it but you get the idea :)

Attachments

• 24082007050.jpg
    24082007050.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 312

steve123

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2007
I've got the new 24 inch model and I noticed the light leakage last night. The leakage is quite severe as reported here. I wonder if Apple is going to do anything about this problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.