New 20" iMac observation

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Kenjiro, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Kenjiro macrumors newbie

Hi!
    This is my first post in this forum. my name is Michael and I am from Poland. I am working on two iMacs - older one 17" at work and new one 20" (alu) at home.
    The new one is a litle bit noisy. White iMac is cimpletely silent.
    When I put them to sleep, white mac sleep immediatelly, alu one, after few moments.
    The alu one hangs a few times (after 1.1 update), the white one NEVER hangs.
    Display is a far better in white mac.
    Alu one is quicker ofcourse, because of better procesor (119 points in bench vs 150 points).
    One big point for new one is speed, the rest is apple defeat.

PS Sorry for my english ;)

2. redraidermacman macrumors regular

well, all i have to say, is that your english is a lot better than my polish....maybe because i dont speak polish, but nice post, but as far as what you said, i have a 20" alu imac, and i have heard a lot of people say they dont like the screens as much on the new imacs, i have to say, its a lot better than pretty much any other monitor out there that would essentially be in this price range could come up with, definatley better looking than any pc i have ever had, lol,

3. gormond macrumors regular

Strange I have never heard anyone referee to the new iMacs as noisy, in fact anyone I have asked so far says they cant hear it at all. Is there a chance yours could be faulty ?

4. Kenjiro thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe they are deaf? ;) or they try to convince themself they couldnt hear anything.
    I was in ispot and test all new imacs for noise. Everyone new imac make a noise and some kind of vibration, when You touch it, You can feel vibration. I dont mean much noise like PC noise but I hear it. Which I dont with a white imac.

In my opinion this noise is becasuse of thinner case and for that much more difficult ventilation. They have to put more powerfull fans. Aluminium case is cause of vibration which could make some more noise on some materials, like wooden desk.

I hope the hanging problem is with last update, and Apple will fix it.

5. gormond macrumors regular

That's certainly possible, I wont be able to say until I get mine next month... please hurry up Leopard :D

6. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

I, too, noticed that my iMac takes a bit longer to go to sleep and wake up than my previous Macs did. Doesn't bother me, though.

My iMac is pretty much dead silent. You can BARELY hear it. It's even quieter than my Mac mini was. :)

7. psonice macrumors 6502a

I think the delay when sleeping is a new 'feature' actually - on some of my older imacs they slept instantly, but sometimes if you pressed the keys slightly too long you'd actually wake them up again immediately. The delay cures that perfectly, and doesn't really cause any issues.

8. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

That's definitely a possibility. I also read in the new Macworld that the iMacs have a feature where your iPod will charge while the computer is sleeping. That sleep delay could also have something to do with that.

But yeah, either way, it doesn't bother me.

9. Kenjiro thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi!
    It's me again....

I will replace my iMac alu 20" 2.4 GHz in iSpot tommorow.
    I have a choice: the same new iMac alu or white 24" with GeForce 7600 256 MB - the fastest one from white series.
    White has bigger display and better display than the new one, but has slower processor 2.16 and smaller HD 250 GB.
    What do You think? Which one?

I am closer to choose the white because of faulty new alu whch I previous get....

10. rainydays macrumors 6502a

Since I've had three iMac 24" I've observed the noise level of them and it does vary a lot between units. The first one was fairly quiet, the second one was very quiet, even to the point that my sensitive ears had a hard time hearing it at times, but this third one is very noisy compared to the average iMac. In fact I would consider at least one of the fans as faulty because it sounds unbalanced and worn out, like a four year old fan.

So it might just be that those who consider it noisy has gotten a faulty fan.
    I am certainly not satisfied with the noise level on this third one. The low noise was one of the reasons I bought an iMac.