new 20" iMac or white 24" refurb

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by polythene pam, Sep 7, 2007.

1. polythene pam macrumors member

Both would cost around $1500, with the new I'd get a faster processor and more hard drive capacity, and a free nano/printer.

However with the white I'd get a bigger screen, a non-controversial screen, and in my opinion a cuter computer.

I just really don't know if it would be stupid to buy "old" technology, instead of getting the newest possible. And if not, why not even buy the white 20" and save $400??!!!

To be quite honest, my ibook has 512 RAM and 1.33 Ghz and it suits me fine, speedwise. So I might not even notice the speed difference between the new 20" and old 24". I use mostly Mail, Firefox, Word, Excel, Endnote. A bit of iPhoto and iMovie.

Any suggestions/opinions????

2. eswank macrumors 6502

If I had to choose, I'd go with the White 24" Refurb. I've played with the new iMac's and I'm really annoyed with the glass screen giving back a lot of reflection. The new iMac's are really heavy, considering what it's made out of. If you don't mind purchasing a refurb, I'd get the white iMac!

I still have the 20" iMac G5 and still loving it. I'm thinking of upgrading to the 24" White iMac now.

3. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

I'd say do 24" white if you think it looks better. You really won't notice a difference in speed if your ibook suits you and you really aren't buying old technology. Just tech at a bargain price.

4. blasius macrumors newbie

blasius

i don't believe that the new 20 inch imac is much faster than the old 24 inch
    (quote me if i'm wrong )so i would say go for the 24 inch .... plus the 24 is beautiful