New 2009 UniMBP Boot Camp Audio Problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Crimson7ide, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Crimson7ide macrumors newbie

Hi, I just received my new 2009 MacBook Pro (2.8ghz) in the mail from Apple this morning. Everything was working fine until I installed Bootcamp and after loading all of the drivers from the install disk noticed that audio port did not seem to be working. In the audio settings it lists the port as being there yet when I plug in headphones it says nothing is plugged in. The port is also red.

I've owned an earlier MacBook Pro in the past and when I had this problem it went away on its own rather quickly but it on the new one it seems fairly persistent.

In OS X the audio port is fine, and in Vista all the OS updates and Boot Camp update are current.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

What do you mean by 'the port is also red?' On all of Apple's machines, the ports don't have that traditional color coding of green=audio, and red =microphone. I have Windows Vista installed on mine, but when I run a game like Crysis, the audio is punctuated by little crackles and pops. It has never happened when I run in Mac, but then the problem just comes when I'm in Windows. Any clues?

3. Crimson7ide thread starter macrumors newbie

Theirs a bright red light on the inside of the port that's lit up. I haven't had any audio popping yet, although the only games I've played so far are Mass Effect and Halo (In Vista) with the main speakers so I may not have noticed yet.

4. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I have an almost similar issue. In Boot Camp exclusively the left speaker is about 3x louder than the right one. I had to move the slider around in the audio settings. Try getting the audio driver update from realtek, see if that works. The red light is normal in Boot Camp, too.

5. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I had the crackles and pops in Battlefield 2 even with my old Dell machine. I just got used to it. :(

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If you're getting the red light only in Windows, then you have a driver problem. I'm willing to bet that OP is running 64-bit Windows 7?

7. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

What the - ? I'm not trying to attack you personally too much but I think you're wrong. I've had that red light on both uMBPs I've owned.

8. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

The red light I'm assuming is the optical feed. I would not expect the drivers to work perfectly since this is a new machine where the audio in/out are in the same port. Find your own drivers or wait until Snow Leopard.

9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I think you misunderstood what I'm trying to say here. I'm not arguing about the red light, I don't even care about the red light. All I'm saying is the red light is emitting because there is a driver problem. Had this happen when installing XP and accidentally installed the Boot Camp update on the Apple website over the one I installed off the install disc and same thing happened when I installed the drivers off the install disc over 64-bit Windows 7. Correctly installing the right driver will fix the issue.

If you are using Windows 7 64-bit, go here for the audio driver:

http://www.realtek.com/downloads/do...=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

10. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Ah, thank you for the clarification. I honestly thought the red light was normal, heh. Question is, what would the right drivers be? I too use XP on Boot Camp and have always seen this light (until I plugged something in :eek:), even when I updated my Realtek drivers I saw this light...

11. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

That would be a whole other problem. Which MacBook Pro do you have?

12. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I'm running the base model 13" MBP.

13. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If the drivers off the disc don't work, then it has to do something with the audio port being different this time around and you would need to find alternate drivers from somewhere or wait for Apple to do something. Anybody else have a 13-inch MacBook Pro with the same problem? (Which OS are you using by the way?)

14. Crimson7ide thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I'm using 32 bit Vista Home Premium.

It used to work fine on my old mid-2007 (First one with the 8600m) MacBook Pro. The red light appeared once but seemed to go away on its own (background update of some kind?) on the older MBP.

I'm assuming the lack of drivers in both my computer and spaceboots is that both computers have been out for less than a month and Apple hasn't updated bootcamp?

15. crzdmniac macrumors regular

16. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Weird. I know there was another thread with the user using Windows 7 64-bit that had the same problem in this thread and after providing the right drivers the red light and low volume was fixed so we're definitely looking at a drivers problem here and not hardware if the port works in OS X. This might be a stretch but try this.

Go to the Apple download site and download the update for Vista 32-bit. Just install it over your current setup (no need to uninstall anything). If that doesn't fix it, try reinstalling the drivers from the install disc, again no need to uninstall.

17. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I only understand what you wrote slightly. I'm using Windows XP SP 3. When you say off of the disc, do you mean the Windows disc or the Boot Camp disc? I'm not sure what to do.

Very confused,

Marc

18. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

OS X install disc.