New 200gb 7200RPM HDD for Macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tianuk3, Nov 23, 2007.

1. tianuk3 macrumors member

Hey Guys:)
    Im looking to find a fast, quiet and non power sucking 7200rpm drive for the new SR Macbook! Have been looking at the Seagate Momentus 7200.2 16mb Buffer SATA but supposedly its quite load..well one of the loadest hdds :-S.. I just saw the other thread with the recommendation for HDD, and the HITACHI Travelstar 7K200 200GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Notebook Hard Drive caught my eye... has anyone got any other suggestions/advice on which laptop hdd i should get? jus to note I am in the UK so wont be able to take advantage of ur great USA offers :-(
    Cheers!

2. Canerican macrumors regular

The Hitachi is awesome. But one thing you might want to consider is a 5400RPM HDD for the power savings and the lower heat. You probably already know that Apples laptops notebooks might just cook your legs.

3. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

I too am considering upgrading my macbooks hard drive to a 7200rpm and cant decide between the seagate or hitachi. from what I saw at storage review the hitachi drive is faster then the seagates. Athough I personaly am more of a fan of seagate since ive used them in just about every system ive built and never had any failures. Also I'm not sure about heat between both drives I think the hitachi ran hotter. The hard drive in the macbook is located right below the right palm rest area. So more then likely it would increase the heat on that surface..if that bothers you then you'll want to stick to a slower drive.

I'm still thinking about giving one of the 7200 drives a try most likely from newegg so I can send it back if it doesnt work out well.

4. tianuk3 thread starter macrumors member

im not too worried about the heat as supposedly the heat isn't that bad. when i use it on my lap i put it on a book anywhere so it doesnt make to much difference. i just want a 7200rpm one as wanna do some heavy audio editing and want to make sure my hdd is up to scratch for it ;-) Wish I could find a good place to get the hdd in england :-(

5. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

i'm using the Hitachi 200GB in my MacBook. I don't notice a heat increase or noise. Though I can hear this drive a little more than the stock hard drive the macbook came with. Which was basically silent.

Speed wise the difference between the two is minimal when doing my design work or web browsing. Copying files is a bit faster, that's about it. Still much slower than a desktop hard drive.

Maybe just get a Firewire 3.5" external drive instead?