New 2010 AirPort Extreme does not work, 2009 model does. HALP!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bchamorro, Feb 26, 2010.

1. bchamorro macrumors regular

I just got a 2010 AirPort Extreme to replace my February 2009 model.

The 2010 model does not seem to work with my cable modem. It is not faulty because I have already tried two different ones.

My MacBook will recognize and I will get a green light, but no internet connection.

When I connect my 2009 model AirPort Extreme I do get internet connection.

What the heck is going on?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I did not know there was a new 2/2010 release.
    Are you speaking of the 10/2009 release with the same dual band but new antena configuration?

I would say that it could be a dud. Call Apple and swap it out. Brand new should not result in much fiddling.

3. bchamorro thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I'm talking about the 10/2009 :)

I already tried with two different ones. My friend and I bought one, so I got to try this with two different 10/2009 Airport Extremes.

4. wlh99 macrumors 6502

Many cable modems lock themselves to the MAC address of the router or computer connected to them. Unplug the power of the cable modem, wait a few minutes, then plug it back in. That should allow it to connect to a different modem.

5. robodude666 macrumors member

I personally do not own an AirPort Extreme, nor have ever used one, so I'm not sure if this option exists but...

Continuing on what wlh99 said, see if the AirPort Extreme has an option for MAC cloning. Like wlh99 said, many ISPs limit only a certain MAC address from connecting to their service. This MAC address is generally the one associated with the modem provided. To get around this many routers feature a MAC cloning option.

If the Airport Extreme doesn't support MAC cloning then you'll simply have to call up your ISP and give them the MAC address (located on the bottom of the Airport) so they can let you in.

Best of luck!

-robodude666

6. bchamorro thread starter macrumors regular

This worked! Thanks :D !

There was a little trick to this. My cable modem has an internal battery that would not allow it to completely shut down (unplugging it from the wall was not enough) I took out the battery and reconnected everything and now it works. I am now online with the new AE.

Thanks