New 2010 camcorders with mic input?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by JDW3, Feb 24, 2010.

1. JDW3 macrumors newbie

Sorry if this has been mentioned a lot. I used search but some posts date back a couple years.

I'm ready to spend up to $600.00 on a quality camcorder for home/live use. I'll be recording my band for demo videos, so it would have to be clear in low light settings.

I've read that some aren't compatible with external hard drives and/or Macs.

I have a 2008 iMac. I'd also like the best examples of interfaces and the like.

I've done plenty of audio recording but this will be my first attempts at video editing.

2. Seo macrumors regular

Well, since HDSLRs are becoming the fad of the decade you probably want one of those. At 600 dollars you're nowhere near the price range where prosumer and professional event cameras fall. Then again, 600 is also too low for a HDSLR. I'd say go for the new T2i that's coming out soon with a fast DX prime, like the Canon EF 28mm f1.8 USM and a telephoto like the Canon EF 85mm f1.8. They're both inexpensive (relatively) and have great quality for the price. Of course, you'll be pushing it with these as the body only + the 2 lenses I mentioned are about a 1500, but you'll be getting better low light shots .

You might have some problems with an HDSLR, however, such as limited continuous shooting times, rolling shutter (just don't pan too fast), and difficult setup time, but if you're just setting the cam down in the background, it'll do fine.

For an even cheaper alternative (which I prefer and have seen great shoots done with), get a Canon HV40. Its low light is nothing spectacular, but in a decently lit venue you'll be shooting with it without a problem. Rolling shutter is less of a problem (still a problem if going handheld), but on a decent shoulder mount, it'll work for dynamic shots. I recommend one of these in the background with a tripod and another right in front of the stage to capture the singing and instrument action.

3. jhewes macrumors newbie

check out the Canon line of HD camcorders. Almost all of them have a mic input jack.

4. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

Have you got a mixer and microphones? I'd do the audio track separately and sync afterwards: gives you much more flexibility on the audio front.

5. Seo macrumors regular

Well, if he's got a sound board it's probably the venue's, in which case he'll be able to record the line out from the mixer. If that's so, a simple recorder will do.

6. Traxx macrumors newbie

Hi, I've been visiting this site for years now, but just decided to sign up and reply to this post as I thought I have just the right solution for what you're looking for. I've used it to record live band shows and behind-the-scenes footage for just under a year but am not using it anymore as I have a new baby I'm using. http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/pho/1630836859.html
    Let me know what you think.