New 2010 iMac users: do you really have a SDXC card reader? Could you please check?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by hl450, Aug 8, 2010.

1. hl450 macrumors member

Hi All,

I just bought an 27inch iMac from a local apple store yesterday.

After unboxing, I checked if everything was cool with the iMac(dead/stcuk pixel, yellow tinting, any imperfections, etc)

When I looked at the System Profile to check various types of devices, I noticed that it lists the type of SD card reader as "SDHC". NOT "SDXC"!!!! :eek: Look at the screen capture I am attaching.

I did some googling to check if anybody has posted regarding this.. I ran into this short article and looks like upon inserting a SD card, --- Visiting the slot in Disk Utility with an SD card inside shows an "Apple SDXC Reader" ---
    (ALTHOUGH the article was based on the new mac mini)
    Read more: http://www.electronista.com/article...e.of.first.computers.with.sdxc/#ixzz0w1eiESwe

So I inserted my 8GB SDHC card and went to the disk utility but it just displays "APPLE SD Card Reader Media" :( (look at the second picture that is attached)

Can anyone of you who owns a new iMac check if you see it listed as SDXC or SDHC under your system profiler or disk utility? THANKS~!!! :D

Attached Files:

2. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

It will be an SDXC.. it's highly unlikely Apple just missed out yours, unless Mr.Jobs is out to get you.

3. hl450 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply!

I hope it's an SDXC but i have no way of testing it yet as I do not own a SDXC card. However the screen capture on the article regarding the new mac mini displays it as SDXC READER rather then, SD Card Reader.

That's why I asked new iMac owners to check... Thanks!

4. Jakk macrumors newbie

My new iMac 21.5" core i3 also display as "SDHC" :confused:

Built in SD Card Reader:

Type: SDHC

5. Thrilledge macrumors regular

6. Animalk macrumors 6502

This and another guy gets a 2.66GHz CPU instead of a 2.8GHz. Is Apple trying to get rid of old components by sneaking them into newer machines hoping to land on someone who wont notice?

7. Btom macrumors 6502a

Anybody out there with a new iMac reading SDHC and a 64GB, or a 128GB SDXC card to verify?

Tom B.

8. lyrrad721 macrumors regular

I really hope that's not the case...:rolleyes:

9. victorviny macrumors newbie

10. dkly007 macrumors newbie

I was thinking the same thing....

@ hl450, I purchased an i7 27" iMac over the weekend and checked out my system profiler. I can confirm that I have the same details as your screen shot listed under the card reader tab.

I'm going to give AppleCare a call and ask them to kindly "Please Explain"

Will post the outcome when I have it

11. hl450 thread starter macrumors member

It will be great if you can post a reply and let us know what AppleCare has to say. Thanks!

Also, thanks to everybody for replies. At this point, I wonder why it says SDXC READER on new mini...:confused: since I highly doubt that apple is trying to get rid of old parts by sneaking it in the new models.... but.. i guess anything is possible.. :(

12. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

Out of the box 2.8ghz i5 quad 27"

Vendor ID: 0x05ac
    Product ID: 0x8403
    Revision: 1.00
    Serial Number: 000000009833

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

14. Dwhite78 macrumors regular

Built in SD Card Reader:

Vendor ID: 0x05ac
    Product ID: 0x8403
    Revision: 1.00
    Serial Number: 000000009833

I use compact flash. So the loss does not upset me much. But It should be as advertised.

15. tyche macrumors 6502

21.5" i5. Shows SDHC like the others posted. I only have SDHC cards at the moment.

16. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

....are you sure you didn't get a prev gen machine by mistake?

Did you buy it from an apple store or a "best buy", etc...?

Take it back to the store and have them show you its an SDXC reader...

17. therocket macrumors member

In case anyone tries an SDXC card, do not format it if your imac asks you to.

"If an SDXC memory card is inserted into a PC or a host product that does not support SDXC memory cards, a message may prompt you to format the card. Do not format the SDXC memory card in a non-compatible host product; it will erase the data on the SDXC memory card and format the card for a different file system that will no longer work with SDXC host products."

This is from http://www.sdcard.org/developers/tech/sdxc/using_sdxc/

It also says that a driver patch is needed to use the SDXC cards on some PC's, so i would assume that a software update from apple may clear this all up. If you really want something done about this, then call apple yourself so that they know that this is a real issue. They should not advertise their products to have something and then not include it!

18. Man-Droid macrumors regular

Good job posting your serial number. We'll also need your social security number to assist you further.:rolleyes: But seriously is it an SDXC or what???

19. Dwhite78 macrumors regular

Psst. Its the same serial for everyone. Its basically a hardware id. Not like we posted our machine serial.

20. pt0016 macrumors regular

pt0016

21. hl450 thread starter macrumors member

Looks like, it's listed as "SDHC" for all of the new iMacs... :confused:

Does anybody have SDXC card to test it out on one of the new iMacs?

22. symbology macrumors regular

23. texrb macrumors newbie

My new 27" i5-760 (2.8ghz) also say SDHC.

This doens't surprise me because it also lists my graphic card as 5750. So Apple obviously has a problem with putting the truth in their sytrem info :rolleyes:

24. symbology macrumors regular

According to this post, we have the same SD card as the Macbook Pro's. Not sure what year this guys laptop is but....

What do Macbook Pro's come with?

This was dated back in January 2010.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=10879541#10879541

25. Vylen macrumors 65816

There's no SDXC cards for sale at the moment. Just a some from a couple manufacturers that are "sampling" them to certain people... whatever that is.

You'll have to possibly wait till later this year before they go on sale and for this to be tested.