New 2011 27' iMac Wireless Problem

Discussion in 'iMac' started by budcopington, Jun 10, 2011.

1. budcopington macrumors newbie

Hello all,

My brand new iMac just came today, and I'm having a pretty irksome wireless problem. I'm at school right now, and in order to access the wireless network I have to run an "xpressconnect" program to authenticate my computer. The school uses wpa2 security. I can connect to, download, and run xpressconnect, but afterwards cannot browse the internet or do anything else requiring a connection. I can, however, ping google.com, which strikes me as strange. Tethering through my cell phone works fine, as does ethernet, but the ethernet here is incredibly slow and I'd prefer to be able to connect wirelessly - so it seems like some kind of driver or software problem (at least I hope it is, my display is perfect and I'd rather not risk exchanging it). Is there any solution, or should I just wait for apple to release a software update?

Thanks.

2. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

It does not sound like anything is wrong with the iMac but rather your Schools WiFi Network and how it's setup. Unless I misread your post.

3. budcopington thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I can connect to it with my 2008 MBP which is running the same version of Snow Leopard. It seems as though the iMac is having trouble with WPA2, or something like that, since I can connect to other sorts of networks...

4. chasb441 macrumors newbie

5. budcopington thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, that sounds like the problem. I installed Windows and everything works fine, so I guess I'll just be wired for a while until apple releases a fix for it. (Now if only I could figure out why my school's wired network is 10x slower than the wireless...)