New 2011 Mac Mini Server Stuck Booting

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by mdgm, Aug 24, 2011.

1. mdgm macrumors 6502a

I have a new 2011 Mini Server that is stuck on booting.

I booted the Mini using Target disk mode, cloned the stock hard drive using SuperDuper, created a RAID-1 set using the stock hard drives, then restored from backup.

It's now stuck booting, but instead of showing the Apple logo it's showing a symbol a bit like a don't smoke symbol but without the cigarette. Any suggestions?

2. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

It is not finding the OS, my suggestion if you have a decent internet connection is to reboot command-R and do the Internet Recovery. This will insure that it is installed properly.

I know the symbol you are talking about, basically it is a circle with a line through it. I had this happen when I first setup a new drive on my Mac Mini using an existing SSD and because the Lion OS wasn't the exact one that came on the Mini I ended up having to do the Internet Recovery. Glad I did cause it gave me a really good clean install.

Just the simplest way to get around it, provided you have a decent internet connection.

3. mdgm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Solved it without needing to use Internet Recovery (started this, but it was taking way too long, so aborted it).

Two problems:

1. I had left Recovery HDD on.
    2. I had cloned the Recovery HDD using dd

Solution.

I booted back into target disk mode, deleted partition and recreated RAID set and restored backup.

It still wouldn't work, so I created a recovery partition usb key using an older Mac. Then I used dd to overwrite the recovery partition on the USB key with the one from the 2011 Mini Server

I was able to use this to boot into the recovery HDD and when I quit I selected the startup disk as the one on the RAID set. It then proceeded to boot.