new 2011 MacBook pro get very hot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nec207, Jul 22, 2011.

1. nec207 macrumors 6502

After reading the threads here I do not know if I should get the new 2011 MacBook pro as there are lots of threads here on the new 2011 MacBook pro getting very hot.:eek:

What is the deal of the new 2011 MacBook pro getting very hot and is it true it seems to be more of a problem with the 13 inch one than say the 15 inch one or 17 inch one?

2. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

Heat is the byproduct of powerful computers. There is NO problem with heat in the MBP line this year. If you want a good laptop, it will get hot but usually only when you're running heavy apps.

Trying to find a powerful laptop that's ice cold, is like trying to find a car that gives off cotton candy instead of exhaust.

3. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

It's true. All 13 inch models come with free oven mitts. I'm being sarcastic of course. I have a MBP13 and it hasn't burst into flames just yet.

I wish these concerns about heat issues would stop. I'm sure there are a few out there with bad thermal paste jobs but that's always been the case and always will be depending on how sober the Apple employee is at the time it's applied.

4. zwodubber macrumors 6502a

I don't game, but I do use multiple programs all the time (CS5 is almost always up with PS, AI, ID, DW), and the typical itunes, safari, outlook, filezilla etc... and have never felt mine get "hot". It feels warm to the touch but I expect that and my fans are nice and quiet when they do occasionally kick in.

One more thermal scan then I'm might retire this tactic...

There is a difference between radiant heat (keyboard area upper left) and vented heat (bottom middle of monitor coming from the hinge).

The CPU and GPU are in the upper left portion which is shown in the thermal scan, it's nothing to worry about.

[​IMG]

5. nec207 thread starter macrumors 6502

The discontinued Macbook was not hot and the fans quiet .

I hear the Macbook pro get very hot where you cannot put it on your lap and the fans get loud do to it getting so hot.

May be that is only the 13 inch.

6. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

The white MacBooks weren't very powerful though compared to the MacBook Pros.

I guess it would be more help if you explained to us what you do on your laptop. What apps do you use?

7. JacaByte macrumors 6502

Secretly Apple used the aluminum unibody as a giant heat sink.

My 15" MBP get's really hot too, but usually when I've got a load of stuff going on at once. If I single task everything stays nice and cool, but if you have to do some processor intensive stuff either wear a nice pair of pants or set your MBP on a desk/table.

If I ever get my hands on a pentalobe screwdriver I'll reapply the thermal paste on my MBP's heat sinks myself; it's not normal to have a 20ºC difference in temperature between the CPU, GPU and their heat sinks. I'm about 90% sure that the thermal paste was slapped in without any regard to quality on my laptop, though I won't be sure unless I can get a peak inside.

8. nec207 thread starter macrumors 6502

What is wrong with the thermal paste ? Are you saying that is why the new 2011 Macbook pros are getting so hot?

Well if there is a problem with the thermal paste is apple going to start to fix it.

9. dsio macrumors regular

I have the i7 13" and it doesn't get too hot for my lap when gaming or running multiple VMs.

10. JacaByte macrumors 6502

Well, yes and no, it sounds like your mileage will vary. And no, Apple will not fix it, as putting copious amounts of thermal paste under their heat sinks is in their service manual AFAIK.

11. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

Yeah their thermal paste isn't the best but you are seriously freaking out over something you don't even own yet. I invite you to go to an Apple store and check one out yourself. Don't believe everything you read on the Internet. I've gone to the apple store several times, and picked up a MBP and felt the bottom and they are barely even warm at most, and those MBPs are on for about 12 hours a day and 7 days a week.

12. nec207 thread starter macrumors 6502

It is if the 15 inch and 17 inch is much cooler.

Also a computer that is always hot is not good for the electronic over type.

I know most computers get hot but so hot you cannot put it on your lap is very hot .

13. nec207 thread starter macrumors 6502

14. dsio macrumors regular

The two threads fall into the categories of "When I was watching a flash video the fans spin up" and "When I was using java the fans spin up". The downside of Apple's easy to use desktop environment is that in some cases these computers attract people that are not entirely qualified to operate a doorknob let alone a computer (I've got some distant relatives in this category).

If you bring a computer to full load, it will reach its maximum temperature, and the fans will spin at full speed. Flash will bring any computer on the planet to its knees, it needs to die (thankfully its going in the right direction). Badly written Java applets will do the same thing.

The problem is bad code, not bad hardware.

15. nec207 thread starter macrumors 6502

Can you elaborate on the flash/ and Java the bad code and why that will make a very hot computer and the fans spin at full speed

Reading the threads here there is problem with apple thermal paste on the Macbook pros thus very hot and may be apple as fixed this problem that is why some people in this thread are saying their computers do not get that hot.

16. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

Any 13" laptop that you bring the CPU up to 100% with multiple apps, or just one game (like Eve or WoW) will create so much heat that it is uncomfortable to be placed on a lap. The term 'laptop' is a generic term and does not mean that under all circumstances you can put it on your lap without discomfort. Sucks, but that is the way it is.

17. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

I would take it to apple. This was one of my problem and this is what they found:

Cooling Diagnostic shows that battery thermal sensor 0 (zero) is failing

You can read my discussion in the thread above

18. VMMan macrumors 6502a

My 2011 MBP 17" feels hot on its top surface near the center of the screen hinge only when the MBP is either driving an external display or doing some CPU/GPU intensive activity.

But, I think that's completely fine. I would rather the aluminum shell act as a heatsink and feel hot, then have it feel room temperature, keeping all the heat internally within the laptop components.

19. dsio macrumors regular

If that's the case you might want to remove the foam insulating strips that separate the heatsink from the chassis. Apple has actually gone to great lengths to ensure that all the heat is kept internally more so in the unibody laptops than in most normal laptops by mechanically isolating the heatsink and heatspreader assembly to the logic board, and using insulating material to prevent it coming into contact with the chassis at the exhaust. The only reason you can feel it hot there is the because the exhaust air itself heats up the shell as it blows past the hinge.

20. snaky69 macrumors 603

It is not a heating problem, it is a perceived heating problem, much different. Nor is it a problem in the first place. The heat is a byproduct of having a very powerful computer in a thin and elegant aluminum casing.

Want a cool notebook with the same power but half the heat? Easy, but the case'll be 3-4 inches thick and fans will be buzzing themselves into oblivion.

Bottom line is, if you actually use your computer, things will get hot, that is the case with any laptop, of any brand.

21. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

True, but it would be nice to be able to put my 15" on my lap without burning myself.. the 2010 Model was a lot cooler at full load.

22. snaky69 macrumors 603

It also had a less powerful graphics card and only 2 processor cores. That extra power generates extra heat.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

23. nec207 thread starter macrumors 6502

I just came from store and the 13 inch was cool and the 15 inch was warm the computer was just sitting there and no one using it.

So yes if you watching a movie or doing some thing on it well it will get hot.

24. SAVAGE5 macrumors member

SAVAGE5

My 17" has reached 87 C but that's the highest.

25. T4R06 macrumors 65816

Samsung QX411

not really, same specs more powerful. i cant believe this laptop runs so quiet and i don't hear anything at all. and its not getting hot. its like an ipad. the battery life is crazy. im getting 10hrs on a regular browsing