new 2011 mbp 2.0 or 2.2? (because of better gpu)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stjric, Mar 1, 2011.

1. stjric macrumors newbie

hi,
    I'm in the UK and just ordered from the website the 2.0ghz 2011 15inch MBP which should be delivered on Friday. I was under the impression (as didn't read properly) that it had the same GPU as the next one up so the only extra i would be getting for the price increase was the 200mhz speed increase. I was wrong - am i going to regret not getting the faster GPU?

I've had a look around the web for differences but can't really see too many comparisons.

I thought that the increase in processor speed did not warrant the extra price, but am not sure if the better GPU is worth it.

The only thing I altered on my order (from the stock/vanilla setup) was the glossy HD screen. Intend to upgrade the HDD to a faster one and also the RAM at later dates (when i have some cash again).

I didn't buy it as a gaming machine but would be good to play via bootcamp now and then. If it can't handle games and the 2.2 machine can then i would be annoyed and tempted to upgrade. (If neither of them can handle games then I'm not bothered and I'll stick with what I've got - but if I could turn it into a gaming laptop for just a few hundred quid then I would be tempted.)

I'm on the edu-discount and the price difference for me is about £250 to get the faster 2.2 CPU and GPU.

anyone know either way or have any advice or seen anything regarding these GPU benchmarks posted/tested on games anywhere? Or just, what are your thoughts?

Cheers

2. citizenal macrumors regular

I had the same problem when I ordered my 2010 mbp 15. I bought the lower spec'd one, used it or two weeks, paid the restocking fee and then got the I7 with the 330m and 512. Could of saved that restocking fee if I just got the better one. Is it that much better? I'm not sure, but you sure do sound like me when i purchased mine. If you can afford to get the upgraded model w/ the 1gb ddr5 memory, why not? And from what I have read, you can play crysis on medium no problem. It's a win/lose few hundred quid situation. haha HTH

3. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

For light to medium gaming, it will be just fine, however if you plan on spending all of your time doing that, or even seriously get into, i'd upgrade to the better model just to be safe.

4. stjric thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry just found this a few lines below my thread - i really don't seem to be too good at reading things at the mo do i.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1104490

This is the thread to use. I'll have a read and post there with any other queries. This one can be closed off I guess. Thanks

5. stjric thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers for the replies guys - I think (not sure) that here in the UK we're not subject to any restocking fees - I think they were scrapped as were deemed against UK laws/statutory rights/distance selling rules or something.

Not sure if that still applies once i've opened it and played around with it though. Might give a store a call and check.

thanks