Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zedsdead185

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2006
UK
To be honest, all you need to do to fake one of these is write a list of predicted specifications out (using an old mac box as reference) on pages or word in the Myriad Pro font (Which comes with every mac!) and print out on a regular printer. Then take a bad quality close up photo of it and voila! Now, if it was a slightly more zoomed out photo that is obviously a picture of the side of a box then it would be alittle more convincing. But only a little :rolleyes:

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
The photo when clicked shows a high res .png file.

I work in web design and have a somewhat keen eye for photoshopped images.

This doesn't look like one. However, anyone with a label printer, the right font, and some imagination of the new specs, can create this image easily.

Reaktor5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
The photo when clicked shows a high res .png file.

I work in web design and have a somewhat keen eye for photoshopped images.

This doesn't look like one. However, anyone with a label printer, the right font, and some imagination of the new specs, can create this image easily.

That's what it looks like to me. Someone mistyped 802.11, printed it out, and took a grainy photo.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Those won't be the specs, all that wait for those would annoy a lot of people... Like me

These won't be the exact specs. Nothing from Ivy that I can find lines up precisely with such a processor choice. The only 2.5ghz on the wiki ivy bridge list wouldn't make sense in any of them, and it's an i7. I could see something more like this in the cheaper model, but keep in mind I haven't gone over the minor differences in each sku. On the high end this is what you'll probably see as it matches up well in price point and thermals. There isn't anywhere to go beyond that. The gpu in the higher model should be something significantly better than the 650m. The 680m makes sense. People keep being weird about its thermal properties, yet it's in the same tdp range as the 6970m. I'm not sure how they compare on price, but neither is cheap.

Reaktor5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
These won't be the exact specs. Nothing from Ivy that I can find lines up precisely with such a processor choice. The only 2.5ghz on the wiki ivy bridge list wouldn't make sense in any of them, and it's an i7. I could see something more like this in the cheaper model, but keep in mind I haven't gone over the minor differences in each sku. On the high end this is what you'll probably see as it matches up well in price point and thermals. There isn't anywhere to go beyond that. The gpu in the higher model should be something significantly better than the 650m. The 680m makes sense. People keep being weird about its thermal properties, yet it's in the same tdp range as the 6970m. I'm not sure how they compare on price, but neither is cheap.

Is the 650M better than what the high end 21-inch is using now, the 6770M?

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Is the 650M better than what the high end 21-inch is using now, the 6770M?

It would be in most use cases. It's not necessarily an enormous step. If they're sticking with NVidia, figure a 650 or 660, something like that. In the 2011s, the 6770s used in the imacs were initially ahead of the 6750s from the early 2011 macbook pros. The same thing could happen again here. I would expect something better in the top 27" as a 650-660 would be a step backward from the 6970m.

Reaktor5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
It would be in most use cases. It's not necessarily an enormous step. If they're sticking with NVidia, figure a 650 or 660, something like that. In the 2011s, the 6770s used in the imacs were initially ahead of the 6750s from the early 2011 macbook pros. The same thing could happen again here. I would expect something better in the top 27" as a 650-660 would be a step backward from the 6970m.

I've been holding out for the higher end 21 inch model but if that GPU bump isn't that big, I might have to reconsider and buy refurbished and save myself a little money. The 2011 model can certainly handle moderate gaming which is the most I'll ever do with an Xbox around.

richest

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2012

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I've been holding out for the higher end 21 inch model but if that GPU bump isn't that big, I might have to reconsider and buy refurbished and save myself a little money. The 2011 model can certainly handle moderate gaming which is the most I'll ever do with an Xbox around.

Well there could be other improvements, and usb3 is nice. As far as refurbished units are concerned, it'll take a couple months for 2012 refurbs to hit. The macbook pros took roughly 2 months to show up refurbished. They came out in early July. They're available now. If the imacs hit soon, you'll see updated benchmarks, and it will reduce the price of 2011 refurbs.

danieldna

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
Just to let everyone know the image was confirmed fake by the website. They posted this:

UPDATE: We have now been told by the reader and a large number of people that this image is indeed fake. We’ll just have to wait to find out the real specifications of the 2012 iMac. Our readers obviously enjoy some part time photoshopping!

Can someone change the title of this thread so people know thanks! =D

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
Just to let everyone know the image was confirmed fake by the website. They posted this:

UPDATE: We have now been told by the reader and a large number of people that this image is indeed fake. We’ll just have to wait to find out the real specifications of the 2012 iMac. Our readers obviously enjoy some part time photoshopping!

Can someone change the title of this thread so people know thanks! =D

Thanks for sharing anyway buddy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.