New 2012 iMac/Student Discount Dilema?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Rebel Hedgehog, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Rebel Hedgehog macrumors member

Guys, not sure what to do here.

My Uni registration expires on 13th July and I'm waiting to buy a new IMac. Couple of questions really.

If I were to wait until say 11th or 12th of July and order whatever iMac available through uni network (therefore receiving a really good discount) would this be frowned upon if they did a subsequent check? - I could obviously provide proof that I was a student on the date ordered but not for the period of use.

Secondly, would you think that a £150 discount ($225) approx make up for the fact that it's the older model?

Really stuck on this one!!

2. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

It's more of a question of what you need. Like most, you probably don't "need" the specs that'll come with the new model (Ivy Bridge, faster processor, faster ram, etc), but if you're going to spend (presumably) the same money on the current with the current specs, or wait and spend the money with the new specs, definitely wait. The issue is we don't know when the next model is even coming, so that's a gamble in itself. Worst case, go to the Apple Store and buy the current gen, then you have the return period to swap it should the new one come out.

I'm in the same dilemma... trying to decide if I should buy now or wait. I think ultimately I've decided to wait. I have an air and a 2010 iMac now ... just upgraded the air to the latest model, now waiting on the iMac.

3. Rebel Hedgehog thread starter macrumors member

Thanks.

I think in my scenario it's the money saved on being a student and heavily reduced apple care which may determine my decision over waiting.

I would like to hear from anyone if they think buying with a couple days to go on my student status is "against the rules" - is this legit?

4. Shrapnel macrumors newbie

Do not worry about. Everything time limited has an expiration for a reason. Until that point it's good and valid to use.

Enjoy the new computer. :cool:

-Shrapnel

5. Rebel Hedgehog thread starter macrumors member

Much appreciated Shrapnel

6. Mystic Eddy macrumors regular

Remember you get three years of AppleCare cover when buying through the HE Uni Store for free :).

7. Metal Dice macrumors regular

Metal Dice

I think that you should consult with your university. Explain the situation and I'm sure somebody will understand.

8. dast1g macrumors regular

dast1g

I'm in the same boat waiting to purchase my first ever mac , just mine expires 31st of August but willing to wait til then to see about the refresh. How much cheaper is apple care with student discount?

9. Scythe5 macrumors regular

If you have the status when you order, then you have it. No different than if you went in for a repair the day after your warranty expired. There's has to be a line in the sand somewhere. Sometimes it works for you, other times not.

Enjoy your new computer.

10. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

How particular is Apple with regards to them enforcing this anyways? I imagine countless people will have approached their teacher friends to take advantage of the educational discounts way before you. Their margins are certainly high enough to soak up the small discount at any rate. :p

11. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Well, here's a data point:

My wife was 2 years removed from college when she wanted to buy an MBP. She went into an Apple Store wearing her Rutgers sweatshirt. They asked her to log into her school email; she got as far as the email server but couldn't remember her password (which was most likely deactivated anyway). We explained that she has everything forwarded to our ISP email and never uses the school address. They allowed it.

12. Hairlesswookiee macrumors member

Lol....Nice. Don't ask, don't tell. In regards to the OP, there's nothing wrong with waiting until the last day of the deadline. That's why there's a deadline. I plan on waiting until the last week of the back to school sales just so I can get the $100 iTunes gift card they're currently offering.

13. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

You can also order online. They seem to never check at all there (although the do reserve the right). In the Apple Store they've always asked for ID, but then I don't look like a student either (I'm 63).

14. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

I did not know this! Is that across all Mac computer lines?

15. Rebel Hedgehog thread starter macrumors member

? Sure it came up at £45.00 for me when I last looked?

What I'm going to do is wait until the last minute (13th July) before ordering my custom iMac. Refresh or no refresh I can't afford to miss out on the good discount, reduced apple care and back to school promotion.

16. bearda macrumors 6502

Hmm, didn't apply when I ordered an iMac through the HE store a couple weeks ago. They discounted AppleCare from $169 to $119, but it wasn't free.