New, 2012 iMacs instore - NOW! (Trolled)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Broseidon, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Broseidon macrumors regular

Called up my local store yesterday to check their stock on 27" iMacs (2011) as I desperately need one for work and cannot wait a second longer. Spoke to the Manager in the morning who told me that they had one in stock. We had a quick chat about me waiting for the 2012 model, etc.

I called back in the afternoon to check before I left when the Manager drops the bomb!

"They're here, the new 2012 iMacs! They're showing on the system right now! They've just appeared"

...this took me a few seconds to process... the Manager continued;

"The 27" we spoke about this morning is showing on the system as discontinued. I can see the brand new, 2012 model on my screen now, it's showing as 1 week shipping time!"

:eek: - :eek: - :eek: - :eek: - :eek: - :eek: - :eek: - :eek: - :eek:

At this point I'm thinking that this is an amazing stroke of luck and am heading to the car while still talking the guy on the phone. Then I asked him how much they were... "£1649" he replied...

Hmmm... I think, that's a big price jump! I question him further - how many models are there? "Only one!", he replies...

Ok... have they got USB 3? - "No, USB 2."

What the processor? - "i5 3.1"

This went on for a while with me getting more and more confused and the guy getting more and more adamant that this was the brand-new, 2012 model.

Then he says, "...the 813 model has been discontinued. This is the new version, the 814!"

[​IMG]

At this point, I hung up.

2. Occamsrazr macrumors 6502

Do you think he was trolling you or just an ignoramus?

3. lucasfunkt macrumors 6502

Amazing.

What do you think he meant by 813 and 814, what do those numbers represent?

4. Occamsrazr macrumors 6502

More importantly, did you go ahead and drive over to that DBag's store and buy his "new 2012" imac?

5. Broseidon thread starter macrumors regular

I think he was just stupid ;)

The 813 is the base model 27" iMac, the 814 is the higher model 27" (2011) with the 3.1 processor.

I'm afraid not, I went to the pub and had a beer instead! :D

6. takezo808 macrumors member

7 out of 10 Store Sales reps in tech stores don't know jack. He is probably thinking about the new mac book pro. You were thinking about the iMac the all in one desktop.

There will be an updated iMAC and Mac mini. They came out at roughly the same peroid last time. The majore difference would be a beefed up GPU. The CPU will be a very minimal spec bump from what is avalible now. If your an AMD gpu fan, get the 2011, because this year is Nvida.

7. Broseidon thread starter macrumors regular

I called him on the "are you sure you're not thinking about the new MacBook Pro's?" bit but was adamant.

I think the 814 had just been out stock for ages and had just come in, hence the confusion.

If the new 2012 iMac bump is anything the bump to the 2012 MacBook Pros, I really will not regret getting a 2011 iMac.

I don't care about USB 3, I don't care about having the newest graphics or processors - all I need is an epic tool for work. The 2011 27" will be just fine ;)