Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keeftone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
OK. So I bought a late 2012 Mac Mini quad to replace my G4 MMD tower.

I've been using my last PC's monitor, a HP w2207h. I figured since my picture was sharp using a DVI-i (?) converter to VGA on the G4, it would look GREAT on the Mac Mini using an HDMI cable (the monitor has an HDMI jack).

WRONG! While it would be usable, the images and fonts are not nearly as sharp as it was before with the G4 and VGA connection.

So I guess I have a few questions.

1) Is there an adapter that will give me a sharp pic with my existing monitor?

2) Is the resolution capability on my monitor the issue (1680x1040 is the max)?

3) If I do need to upgrade my monitor, recommendations in the 22-27 inch range, please.

Thank you.

Jackintosh

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2009
It looks like many users have reported similar issues between your monitor and Mac. See below. You might also try connecting your monitor using a VGA to HDMI adapter. Your monitor seems to handle the VGA (analog) signal better than the HDMI (digital) signal when coming from a Mac.

HP w2207h Moniter Doesn't Work with Macbook Pro 15' Retina Using HDMI cable
‎04-15-2014 12:09 PM - edited ‎04-15-2014 12:09 PM

I understand you are having issues with your HP Monitor on your MAC. I am providing you with an HP Support document: Updating a Monitor Driver, where it states under the sub-heading Using HP monitors on a Mac "HP monitors are not supported in a Mac environment. However, newer Macs use graphics with VESA modes and can display to most HP LCD monitors. To do this, connect the monitor to the Mac while the Mac is off, and then turn on the MAC. The monitor should operate at 60Hz. The INF and software for the HP monitor are for Microsoft Windows and cannot be run in a standard MAC OS environment."

This being said all I can advise is that you check to see that the monitor is set to operat at 60Hz and contact Apple for assistance if that does not get your monitor displaying correctly.

I hope I have answered your question to your satisfaction. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I have never experienced what I'm about to to describe, so I hope that I explain it correctly -- others please jump in if I'm providing the wrong info.

There has been an issue with the Mini when connecting some displays, where the Mini "perceives" the connected display as being "a TV" and NOT a "computer display". This results in the fuzzy output you're seeing.

There is a way to -force- the OS to deliver a proper "RGB" signal to the monitor, and doing this can solve the problem.

I don't have the information on how to do this.
But it's "out there" (posted in this forum, I believe)...

Is HDMI the -only choice- you have "at the monitor end"?

Is there an old-fashioned VGA connector?

If there is, I suggest you try a Minidisplayport connector at the Mini end, going to a VGA connector at the monitor end.

Many on here will denigrate VGA, but it can actually look very good with the proper connection...

keeftone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
There is a VGA connector. I'm going to attempt that next when I get the proper adapter.

keeftone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
I guess what I need is a DVI-D (24+1) male to VGA female adapter.

keeftone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
New 2012 Mac Mini image not sharp with HP w2207h monitor

Then I can attach the VGA to DVI-D adapter to the female DVI-D to HDMI adapter included with the Mac Mini?

----------

Jackintosh

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2009
That's right, I forgot about that. It comes with an HDMI to DVI adapter. But then you're using 2 adapters to get from digital to analog. I probably would just go with one that's direct HDMI to VGA.

As the previous poster said, you could also use the Thunderbolt output for your monitor as VGA output using a Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter (sold separately)

Jackintosh

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2009
Yeah, I think I'd go with that Thunderbolt method as that's what Apple seems to have intended for VGA connections. It's the most likely way to get the best quality signal for your particular monitor.

iggyts

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2014
Yeah, I think I'd go with that Thunderbolt method as that's what Apple seems to have intended for VGA connections. It's the most likely way to get the best quality signal for your particular monitor.

I think this is the only feasible option.
As far as I know, the DVI to VGA adapters work only with DVI-I connectors. This is a "passive" adapter, providing only wire rearrangment. It is the DVI-I output connector that actually outputs the VGA signals besides the digital ones. The HDMI connector has only 'digital' outputs. This is why the adapter included in the box is of the DVI-D type (no analog signals, only digital).
There should be also a mechanical key on the connector (some pins missing) that would not allow you to match DVI-I to DVI-D connectors....

The thunderbolt to VGA adapter is a completely different thing. It includes a converter from digital to analog in the adapter itself.

Hope that it helped (and if I said something wrong, feel free to correct me :rolleyes:).

keeftone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
Thanks!

----------

So, I need a VGA to Mini DisplayPort adapter?

MUCH BETTER! Monitor is now usable until it dies someday!

----------

Did you enable subpixel font rendering for non-Apple LCDs using a command like the following?

Code:
defaults write NSGlobalDomain AppleFontSmoothing -int 2

david2, I am still pretty much a Mac newbie. How would I do this?

david2

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2014
david2, I am still pretty much a Mac newbie. How would I do this?
Open Terminal.app and enter the aforementioned command.

The command runs a software tool named defaults that's used to configure hidden settings. There are many such settings that are available. Another tool that's used to configure these hidden settings is Deeper. Also, the following websites and books cover some of these settings:

Last edited:

Keneth

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2014
Change frequency settings to 50Hz

I tried several adapter. A simple Displayport to HDMI adapter will do the job but will only work in 720p resolution. If you want to run the monitor in the native resolution 1680 x 1050 you need to find a way to change the frequency settings to 50Hz. For me it worked only by using a third party software tool (SwitchRes X) and design a custom setting there. The monitor works now as it should for less than 17€ software license fee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.