New 2012 MacBook Pro Hook up to HD TV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cshel24, Jun 25, 2012.

1. cshel24 macrumors member

This may be a really dumb question... but I figure it is better to ask and appear a fool than do something foolish and remove all doubt.

I have a newest generation MacBook Pro and I would like to hook it up to my HDTV via HDMI cable. I looked on Amazon and saw that they had an adapter in the $6-range and it said about how it works with all these MacBook Pros....but I have one of the new ones.

the ad says

I am not sure what kind of ports my 2012 has, looking at it it has something with a little lightening bolt and another one that looks kind of the letter Y next to it...which my old 09 MacBook also has.

What kind of adapter do I need to get this to work? I know it is sad that I do not know the names of my ports. If I was sure it wouldn't violate the TOS of the site I would just post a link to the Amazon ad.

2. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Thunderbolt port supports mini display port adapters (it's the same socket).

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

The ad isn't what we need. We need to know which MBP you have. If it's retina then you already have an HDMI port. If not, you'll need a Thunderbolt/MDP adapter.

4. pHeNom macrumors regular

Hook one end of the HDMI cable to the tv, hook the other end to your MBP. DONE! :cool:

5. cshel24 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everybody, I'm gonna give that cable a shot! :D