Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdunlap

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
Hey guys. Just bought a new MBA 2012 13" with 128GB SSD and I'm looking at ways to upgrade the storage WITHOUT upgrading the SSD. I was actually looking at the SDXC SD Cards that have 128GB storage on them and contemplating using that for my itunes library and such so I can keep it separate from the actual SSD onboard storage. Does anyone know if this will work? I can't see why it wouldn't but just want to check with you guys since there is probably some of you out there that have done this.

Also looking at a possible USB 3.0 thumb drive but I'd rather do the SD card if it'll work.

I would appreciate all your help!

raniel

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
Ph
Hey guys. Just bought a new MBA 2012 13" with 128GB SSD and I'm looking at ways to upgrade the storage WITHOUT upgrading the SSD. I was actually looking at the SDXC SD Cards that have 128GB storage on them and contemplating using that for my itunes library and such so I can keep it separate from the actual SSD onboard storage. Does anyone know if this will work? I can't see why it wouldn't but just want to check with you guys since there is probably some of you out there that have done this.

Also looking at a possible USB 3.0 thumb drive but I'd rather do the SD card if it'll work.

I would appreciate all your help!

You cant call it an upgrade without actually replacing the drive. Anyway, this might help you:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1342319572/the-nifty-minidrive

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Is the Air compatible with SDXC. I though it did not have the XC reader, so you are limited to std SD cards?

SD cards are fairly indestructible and reliable, should work just fine for an iTunes library. You would just have a little hanging out the side. Some here snip a bit off with a pair of scissors. Perhaps check in on the MBP forums as many there use SD cards.

The air does not go into deep sleep when an SD card is inserted, if that makes a difference to you.

rdunlap

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
Yes, I have read that the new MacBook Airs are compatible with the SDXC cards. I do want to buy the minidrive though, but there is only 64GB of storage available for microSD at the time unless I just can't find 128GB.

macAllen

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2009
Las Vegas
I do! I do!

There is also another outfit that makes a mini drive for the MBA.

http://theminidrive.com/TheMiniDrive.com/Specs.html

It looks to be a little cheaper made than the Nifty version. Does anyone here have the Nifty Mini Drive?

I HAVE THE MINIDRIVE!!!

I wanted the Nifty but they are currently not taking orders...

It fits perfectly and just like the nifty you dont notice it, since its really in, theres just a clear tab tucked in that is noticeable.

I have a SanDisk Ultra 64 GB MicroSDXC Class 10 in it and im getting these speeds (See attached). Speeds range from a 10MB/s avg. write and a avg of 35 MB/s read.

Since (Correct me if im wrong) the MBA doesnt have a SDXC reader, it does pretty good for a USB SD card reader in another card adaptor in it.

I currently use the SD card for iTunes storage and Ligthroom's photo storage.

In Short. Get it, its cheap, does what its suppose to do, all you can ask for.

Attachments

• DiskSpeedTest.png
    DiskSpeedTest.png
    733.1 KB · Views: 118

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I HAVE THE MINIDRIVE!!!

I wanted the Nifty but they are currently not taking orders...

It fits perfectly and just like the nifty you dont notice it, since its really in, theres just a clear tab tucked in that is noticeable.

I have a SanDisk Ultra 64 GB MicroSDXC Class 10 in it and im getting these speeds (See attached). Speeds range from a 10MB/s avg. write and a avg of 35 MB/s read.

Since (Correct me if im wrong) the MBA doesnt have a SDXC reader, it does pretty good for a USB SD card reader in another card adaptor in it.

I currently use the SD card for iTunes storage and Ligthroom's photo storage.

In Short. Get it, its cheap, does what its suppose to do, all you can ask for.

Thanks for the input. I opted for the 256GB SSD on my MBA, but if I can increase the storage by 64GB inexpensively than it is worth it. I would move all my .mp3 and pics to the SD card.

rdunlap

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
I can't wait until they come out with the 128GB micro sd cards. That would be doubling my hard drive space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.