New 2012 MBP USB 3.0 Speed Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wicked1, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

anyone using USB 3 and how does it seem to be working on the 2012 MBP?

2. Pupator macrumors member

I did some experiments yesterday but don't have the results in front of me. Bottom line - it's fast. I was using a USB 3.0 external hard drive and was moving 1GB files in a matter of seconds (<10). When I get back home I can look at the exact numbers.

It was faster in real use than my current setup of FW800 drives.

3. arbitrage macrumors 6502a

I ran the Black Magic Test on my WD portable USB3 drive comparing it on my RMBP and my 2008 13"Alu Macbook. The USB3 reported around 60MB/s and the same drive using USB2 on the 2008 Macbook reported ~25MB/s. This is with a slow 2.5" external portable. I haven't yet tested my desktop external drive that have 7200rpm drives in them but will expect better from them. Even a 5400 3.5" drive should be faster than the 2.5".

For real speeds you need an SSD in a portable enclosure. Still it feels a lot faster as I was moving a bunch of 1-4GB files between computers and the USB3 one was noticeably faster.

4. inlinevolvo macrumors 6502

It is around 100/150 for write/read on a 7200rpm drive. There are a few you tube videos. Search for macbook pro usb 3.

5. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

It works as fast as you would expect a USB 3 port to be. Anandtech benchmarked it in their review.

6. JefferyShin macrumors regular

JefferyShin

If you're using a external hard drive that runs at 5400rpm or 7200rpm, you won't notice that much of a difference. Running tests on it and comparing it to my older MacBook (2.0) did show that the 3.0 was faster, but not like a 'woah, USB 3.0 is so damn fast' kind of fast. I think you'll notice a tremendous difference if you're using an external SSD drive or something.

7. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

Well, I've got a situation regarding USB 3 but haven't really had time to get it resolved.

I bought a 1TB Toshiba Canvio external HD, labeled as USB 3.0 and 2.0 compatible. I used it in my 2009 iMac (Lion) and all was well (but obviously at USB 2.0 speeds). Then I bought a new 2012 MBP, and the drive does not work. An indicating light on the drive that is normally white when connected lights up a pretty azure blue, but the drive never shows up in finder.

After a little internet research, I found this problem to be fairly widespread, and came upon a crap-tastic solution. The business end of a micro USB cable fits into a portion of the drive's connector. Plugging the other end into the MBP results in instantaneous white light and drive mounts in finder, ready for use at . . . USB 2.0 speed. Fun.

I've been scanning these forums for anyone else having this problem but didn't see anything of note.

Anyone have any ideas what's going on here? Apple's fault? Toshiba's fault?

8. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I would just figure to take advantage of the 6 or so Seagate hard drives I have with USB 3.0 which is faster then using them via FW800 or USB 2

Right now TB is still relatively expensive and I am not sure I buy into it until more companies make products for it. I would only be using it for storage and it is not worth the MB to $ cost for me, since it would only serve up my iTunes library in my house.

9. psykick5 macrumors 6502

I've been using USB on the rMBP and going back to USB2 hurts...