New 2012 MBPs: Discontinuation of 13" model?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LoganT, Feb 14, 2012.

1. LoganT macrumors 68020

If the rumors are true and the next redesigned Macbook Pros are going to look like Macbook Airs, where does the 13" model MBP fit when there is already a 13" Air?

I have a 13" MBP, so I hope they don't discontinue them.

2. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Where did you hear these rumors? I haven't heard anything about Apple discontinuing the 13" MBPs.

3. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Doesn't matter if they discontinue or rebrand them. Your MBP will work fine, receive software updates, and last for years to come because at the end of the day, it's still an Apple product.

4. darels macrumors member

apple should make the mbp 13 real pro by adding not integrated gpu at least because now it is more just a Macbook than Macbook pro. And yeah i don't believe they going to make everything macbook airs, they could get rid of superdive and make them just thinner but keeping the same design, it would be cool as they would get rid of much weight at the same time, which now is quite an issue, especially for 13 inchers.

5. LoganT thread starter macrumors 68020

That's cool and all, but I know that.

I haven't heard any rumors. I'm just thinking they might plan on doing that.

6. AntJon82 macrumors member

AntJon82

wow

i have an early 2011 13" macbookpro if dey dump the ODD im goin to trade in my early 2011 and get a late 2011 2.8 i7 13" with 750gig drive and get da
    16gig mem kit and more apple care and call it a day cause i rather have da ODD then no way to play dvds,install software or etc

7. LoganT thread starter macrumors 68020

Save yourself the hassle and buy this: http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...NT1M/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1329277959&sr=8-4

8. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

I think they should just take the MBA, paint it in black, and call it the MBP. Done. :D

9. AntJon82 macrumors member

AntJon82

10. camardelle macrumors 6502

The 13" is the perfect size. I'd hate to see Apple discontinue it.

11. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I know we're on a rumor site but to be honest, I've not heard this rumor.

I can't see if this will be the case or not but I have a 13" MBP and I opted for this over a MBA because of the processor is better, more ports, and an optical drive.

13. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Eh? It's a valid concern and the writing is on the wall.

Apple already "air-i-fied" the MBP13 by using integrated graphics. It's the bastard child of the pro line. Remove the ODD, some ports and it's basically a fast Air (with an inferior display).

The Air/Pro lines will merge into 4 distinct laptops that look more like Airs (11,13,15,17).

Hope I'm wrong. :) But with most of the revenue coming from iOS I bet Apple tries to streamline its OSX offerings.

14. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Lol. I honestly don't get it either.

I already have a Macbook Pro that I intend to use for years to come. If Apple stops making the Macbook Pro today, I wouldn't care. It's not like the Macbook Pro I own now, is going to stop working because they changed their lineup.

When it comes time to buy a new computer, I will vote with my wallet considering all contestants from all manufacturers.

Unless you intend to buy a Macbook Pro in the near future, I don't see why this rumor should be of concern to anyone at all.

15. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I don't see this happening though. The college market is filled with students always buying the 13". I see it everywhere I go. They do not need the power of the Pros, want a small but good enough screen size, and most importantly, it must be Apple!

16. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

17. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

So what's the problem?

18. LoganT thread starter macrumors 68020

The problem is my current MBP isn't going to last forever.

I don't know why people in this thread are saying "I haven't heard this rumor before". Of course you haven't heard it, because there isn't a rumor. It's a thought from myself.

19. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Your current MBP won't last forever, but it should last for several years. No one has any way to know for sure what Apple will decide to do with the next refresh, much less 2, 3, 4, or 5 years down the road. You just have to wait it out and see.

As for people saying they haven't heard the rumor before, you started off by talking about the rumor of the new MBPs looking like the Airs. Then you mentioned discontinuing the 13". Kinda gave the impression that you were referring to one rumor that included both of those pieces, and I think that caused some confusion.

20. LoganT thread starter macrumors 68020

There's rumors that say the next Macbook Pros will look like Macbook Airs. I mean, maybe Apple is going to remove the ODD from the 13" MBP and make it thinner and put a dedicated graphics chip in it. That's what we all hope for, but I don't think Apple really cares about the 13" model.

21. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Yeah it will (not literally). YOUR MBP will not go away when the refresh occurs.

And I highly doubt the 13" form factor is going away. A lot of the education market purchases that size. Go look around a state school and you'll see a crap ton of 13" MacBooks.

The #1 and #3 spots on Amazon's best selling laptop list is the 13 MBP and 13 MBA, respectively.

22. throAU, Feb 15, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012

throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Apple need to give the 13" Pro a higher res screen (say, option for 1440x900 at least) and anti-glare option.

Currently there's very little reason to go for a 13" pro over a 13" air other than RAM capacity, especially if you are talking apple supported max ram capacity.

Sure, it has ethernet, but so does a thunderbolt dock/monitor... logic being, that if you're not at a desk (dock) you're unlikely to have an ethernet socket to plug into anyhow.

The more i think about it, the less keeping it makes sense. Using the discrete GPU on my 15" when on the road (on battery) kills battery life REAL fast (as in, just browsing net i can get a genuine 7-8hrs or more on HD3000, turn on discrete GPU and that drops to 2 hours or so, not even running anything 3d). Trying to run one inside a 13" Pro would be a joke - you'd get maybe 70 minutes of battery life, tops - and thats if the machine didn't melt first.

Bump RAM to 4gb/8gb on the air, build a discrete 3d card into a thunderbolt dock for when on AC power, leave the HD3000 successor (which really isn't TOO bad) for usage on the move, where the battery life on discrete 3d makes it pointless to use anyway.

Do that, and the 13" pro looks pretty pointless.

23. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

I agree. At this point (2011 versions), the MBP 13" hardly has any edge over MBA 13" at all in terms of performance. Apple needs to beef up the MBP 13" in order to differentiate it again from the MBA 13"

24. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I think the 13" is in serious need of a resolution upgrade. That's about it. I've been using a 15" for a week now at high res and looking at my friend's 13", that screen is so crappy.