New 2013 13" rMBP fan noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Scott6666, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

When people start getting theirs can you let me know if (and under what conditions) the fans spin up?

I'm looking for dead silent computing or as close to it as I can get.

TIA

2. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

I'm on a MBA but normal web surfing and editing of photos in photoshop doesn't spin mine up.. The only time I get it is when I am downloading a large file and running other programs such as Illustrator and Photoshop at the same time...

3. Larrabee213 macrumors regular

I picked up the $1499 13" rMBP. The thing was almost dead silent when encoding video from adobe premiere.

Sounds like it will work for you.

4. Scott6666 thread starter macrumors 65816

Scott6666

That's why I think I'm going rMBP I don't want the fans spinning up on things that are not that intensive like Illustrator and Photoshop. If it's not encoding or gaming it should not be making noise.

2013 MBA? i5 or i7?

5. BlingBling macrumors member

BlingBling

I have 2011 and the fans kick heavy if there's lots of flash playing or I put any lightweight game that uses 3D on, Hoping 2013 improves this

6. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

2012 MBA with i5.. So a rMBP should have no problems at all! :) please correct me if I am wrong but the flash storage also leads to a quieter machine, with less moving and for some reason, less fan noise... I got fan spin today but that was when exporting from FCP.

The MBA and rMBPs post 2012 all had a new fan design with asymmetric blades which spread the noise over different frequecies, which leads to an overall reduction in fan noise. So the fan may be spinning in mine, however it's unnoticeable, even if I hold the MBA to my ear.

7. teotuf macrumors member

Can you check the CPU temperatures under load? They changed to using just 1 fan instead of 2 fans from the last year retina model, and I'm a little worried about if it can keep the temperatures down on the inside.

8. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

You've seen a teardown already? Where?

9. teotuf macrumors member

10. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

Thanks!

Interesting. I didn't think there would be that much of a change to the internals.

Nice to see that the SSD is easily accessible for when OWC can offer replacements/upgrades.

But now the 13" trackpad is all covered up by the batteries. Are they glued in as badly as before? I really want to see the iFixit full teardown...

Now I'm curious about the fan capabilities as well.

11. Scott6666 thread starter macrumors 65816

Scott6666

Interesting. I did not know that. Wonder if it WILL make a difference?