New 2013 15 inch rMBP creaking

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Drecca, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Drecca macrumors regular

So, odd/weird problem I didn't have with the 2012 retina 15 inch.

I pick up the 2012 model and it feels solid, no problem at all.

I pick up the 2013 one, and it creaks. It's not bending or anything, but in my unscientific method, it feels weaker.

Is this something i should bring up to Apple, or just live with it?

2. cc2096 macrumors regular

cc2096

Where are you experiencing the creak? I just got my 2013 rMBP last week and the black plastic part by the hinge feels weak to me. My 2012 rMBP did not exhibit this. Is that where you are hearing the creak?

3. Drecca thread starter macrumors regular

yup, that's exactly where i hear the creak. I actually heard it when moving the screen back and forth too.

4. bs-2010 macrumors member

I have creaking too, except it happens when I put my wrist on the area to the right of the trackpad. Just pushing a slight bit creates a terrible creaking sound and sounds like it is about to fall apart.

5. Drecca thread starter macrumors regular

is it something we should contact apple about? The creak doesn't affect the functionality of the laptop, but having paid 3k (don't ask what the tax rate here is in quebec...) for this laptop, I'm looking for near perfection, and this creaking will cause my ocd to flare up

6. Breedlove macrumors regular

Sorely disappointed with Apple as of late.
    On my 5th machine in less than a week, each one with more problems than the one before it.

First - 15" rMBP - Creaking, Pinkish-Yellow corner (LG)
    Second - 15" rMBP - Loud CPU noises, Yellow screen (Samsung)
    Third - 13" rMBP - Splotchy screen (didn't even bother checking the brand before I returned it)
    Fourth - 15" rMBP - Half the of the screen was yellow (Samsung)
    Fifth (current) - 13" rMBP - Yellow gradient on screen, Creaking

Don't know what to do at this point.
    So sick of driving out to the Apple Store only to have to return after 2 days.
    :mad::mad::mad:

7. Drecca thread starter macrumors regular

I went to the genius bar tonight, and the guy i got singlehandedly redeemed my faith in apple.

He was very smart, and knew exactly what the problem was before even touching the laptop.

He explained that sometimes, during the manufacturing process, dust can get into the edges of the laptop or on the 2 balancers. He opened it up, cleaned it, and voila, creaks are all gone!

Awesome experience

8. Breedlove macrumors regular

Not exactly relevant but I thought this might be fitting:
    [​IMG]