New 2014 Mac Mini - Can you upgrade HD?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Dracoy, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Dracoy macrumors member

Anyone know if you can upgrade the new 2014 Mac Minis?

Where would you buy these SSD? Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple does not consider the drive to be a user-serviceable part. You should order it with the configuration that you want.

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

A 128 GB Apple PCIe SSD can be purchased used and put in after unscrewing the bottom cover. It will be a lot cheaper and much faster than a 5400 RPM HDD.

4. scottsjack macrumors 68000

Chicken.

5. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

So true :D

6. grsc3p0 macrumors newbie

Yes

Today I installed a Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD into my two day old fusion mac mini 2014.

I looked at iFIXIT guides and youtube videos.
    Obtained the correct tools. T6 security driver & plastic removal/pri tools.
    Needs currage to unplug the tiny connections, a good eye and steady hand.
    keep a note of screw/component locations.
    Once the SSD is installed boot into the BIOS and use the terminal to 'break' the fusion system.
    Then install OSX onto the PCIE SSD and put data/media on the new SSD.

Worth doing but it voids the warrentey.
    My mini is now faster, quieter, cooler, and more energy efficent. It can also withstand vibration from my nabour's washing machine.

7. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Not unless you damage something, in which case the damage won't be covered.

8. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

So after doing all this which drive is the OS recognize as the main drive? PCi fusion drive or your Samsung SSD?

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's a ridiculous statement. Some of us prefer to plan properly and order the configuration we need to begin with, avoiding the risk of voiding the warranty during an upgrade. Not everyone likes to "tinker" with the hardware. If you want to do it, that's fine. It's foolish and childish to ridicule others who take a different approach.

10. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Not everyone is afraid to upgrade DIY, so you should have at least suggested it to the OP with a warning that damage caused by it won't be covered by warranty.

Not to mention with Apple's PCIe SSDs DIY SSD upgrades are now easier than ever.

11. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

i have two macbook pro retina ssd's that i use in my classic mac pro that im thinking about using in a 2014 mac mini...i know you can you use it in the wireless card slot but the question is will my apple pcie fit in the case? because the wireless ac card i think are about 25% smaller in length. has anyone successfully put a apple pcie ssd there? is that slot x2 or x4?

12. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

The 2014 Mac mini has its own PCIe SSD slot for Apple blade SSDs. It's a 2x slot.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I am not afraid of DIY and have done so countless times over the decades that I've been using personal computers. Fear has nothing to do with it. Why is it so hard for you to understand that some people prefer to buy a computer to do productive work with it, and don't have the time or inclination to waste time taking it apart to install hardware that could have been ordered to begin with?

I am under absolutely no obligation to suggest a course of action that is contrary to Apple's recommendation, whether or not it voids the warranty. You recommend what you choose and I'll do the same. You don't see me criticizing those who are recommending DIY, do you? :rolleyes:

14. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

i'll be getting the core i5 stock refurbished one. Now this one is not a fusion one so is there a connection already on the mother board? or would i need to buy the adapter?

15. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Simply suggesting the OP BTO with an SSD may not be right for them depending on how much they are willing to spend on the upgrade, and they may be willing to install an SSD DIY and save some money. So in the future I ask that you provide unbiased advice and suggest both DIY and BTO options to the OP of threads like this.

Every 2014 mini has a PCIe SSD slot, on the lower-end models it just isn't used.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'll provide whatever advice I deem appropriate. You have no authority or right to try to dictate what advice others may offer. You tend to your own posts and let others do the same.

17. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

i know. but would it come with this adapter if i get a non fusion one?

Attached Files:

18. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Oh. Looking at the iFixit teardown it doesn't appear so. Apple doesn't usually cable things (like the HDD bay in an SSD-only iMac) in their newer machines unless absolutely necessary so that definitely makes sense.

19. Stocks macrumors member

The problem that I have is that Apple won't allow me to order a Mac Mini with an SSD in the configuration that I want. I have to spend $400 more to get an SSD and much of that extra money is going towards items that I do not want or need for my computer use.

----------

Over the last 15 years I have been a member of over 50 internet forums, and I don't think I have ever seen a more arrogant post in my life :p

Who are you to tell someone else what they should recommend?

Basically, you are telling someone else what their opinion should be.

If someone started a thread asking which monitor they should choose, and someone else said that monitor A, B, and C are great, would you yell at that person for not also mentioning monitor D, E, and F?

This is just crazy :D

20. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

There are two different ways you can put an SSD in a non-SSD 2014 mini. You can replace the HDD with a SATA SSD or find a used Apple PCIe SSD and PCIe cable. The cheaper option would be the first one, but it's also the most difficult one.

15 years on 50 forums and it's the most arrogant post ever you've seen? What an accomplishment :p

Obviously my intention was not to ask anyone to suppress their opinion, I simply think that people sometimes need unbiased advice so they can form an opinion for themselves rather than just hearing one side of the argument. It was merely a suggestion and I had no intention of pushing it any further.

21. Celerondon macrumors 6502a

Celerondon

22. dokindo macrumors regular

I bought a 2014 mini with the 1tb HD and had a local independent repair shop replace it with a standard SATA 2.5inch SSD for $50. Done in an hour, working great for 2 months. Got a good deal from BH on the 2.6,8gb model so all together quite reasonable value and now snappy.

23. Celerondon macrumors 6502a

Celerondon

Safe & Smart!

Great! You have SSD performance with no drama and at a minor cost.

24. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I think you make a good point. I successfully upgraded my 2011 mini server yesterday from HD to SSD in the lower bay. However, you must be willing to accept if you make a mistake, you may be purchasing a new machine.

A small slip or mistake could be very costly. '

I took the risk as I thought it was doable and with a 3.25 year old machine, I thought I needed to do something to it or I would want to buy a new computer.

Hey, you made me go grab an Apple remote to make sure the sensor still works, it does. :)

25. Celerondon, Feb 14, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2015

Celerondon macrumors 6502a

Celerondon

Yes!

Informed decision making leads to better choices and I think, better technique when working on a mini.

I figure Dokindo and powerbook911 both made good decisions. The former found a way to eliminate risk for a small cost while the latter saved plenty of cash and probably had fun doing it.

Congratulations on your infrared remote success powerbook911!