New 2014 RMBP, Yellow Screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GuitarDTO, Jan 1, 2015.

1. GuitarDTO macrumors 6502a

I just bought a new 15" Retina macbook pro. I love it, it is super fast, and after a little hassle I've successfully transferred everything over from my 2011. The only thing I notice/am curious about is the noticeably warmer display than my 2011. I am a photographer. Not my day job, but I do make money doing it as I am a contributor with Getty images and therefore I would like to have my color accuracy at least be in the right ballpark of most of my other devices and how my pictures print. I never calibrated my 2011, or my external monitor so I realize I may never have had accurate colors all along....

but with that said, this new display is noticeably warmer....I find it hard to believe this is completely normal. I'm pretty sure it is a Samsung display, the Model number listed in the colorsync utility is A022. It is uniform, just overall warm. My pictures don't look bad, just different than my old display and what my eyes are used to seeing. After staring at this awhile then looking at my old screen it looked too cool, but what i don't want is to start adjusting my photos and compensating for this warmth when everyone else with "normal" screens will then view my pictures as too cool of temperature.

I'm torn as to what I should do. I spent a lot of money on this computer and quite honestly would be content just continuing editing on my external display with the old laptop. The speed increases of this new one are so nice though....

Any words of wisdom??

2. vjobs macrumors member

Don't return it. Nobody knows what you end up with. I have returned 8 MBPr's due keyboard and display faults. All had LG displays.
    This number 9 is Samsung and perfect, they are rare. The LG screen faults would probably not be noticed by an average user, but as a hard user I immediately saw the faults, uneven brightness or uneven whiteness in the display.

You have got a perfectly uniform screen, so you can calibrate the screen to your needs in system settings.

By calibrating you can change the color saturation, but also gamma or white balance.

3. GuitarDTO thread starter macrumors 6502a

Here are a few pictures of the difference. It is definitely subtle, and as I mentioned when I look at this screen and then go back to my old one it actually looks too cool to me. I think you are right that with a little calibration this could end up being a winner. One other quirk I notice is the temperature seems to appear warmer when viewing from above angle slightly, but if I make it perfectly normal to my eyes it is cooler. My old display didn't do this.

Also, does anyone know if there is any kind of break in period for these screens? I remember having this concern with my iPhone 5 a few years back, and it actually seemed to cool down in temperature as I broke it in.

Anyways, the pics: (It seemed worse in the first one during the migration, but less so once the computer was done being transferred).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. vjobs, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2015

vjobs macrumors member

In the pictures your display indeed looks a little warmer, but it also looks uniform and it's not very visible deep yellow.

What I would do: keep it, calibrate it, enjoy it. You'll not find MacBook Pro retinas with a better display than this one.

The display actually is redesigned since the non retina, which provides its thinness, bit warmer color temperature, high-resolution and great viewing angles.

With my MBPr's I also noticed change viewing angle would change the colors and whiteness balance a bit, it's completely normal.
    It's designed to have a great viewing angle range, however the best angle still is 100% in front of the display.

The display will not change in temperature or white balance over time like some iPads and iPhones can do, because the display is produced in another way than the iPad and iPhone displays (like iPad air 2).

Keep it, calibrate it, enjoy it ;)

5. luvmymbpr macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

I disagree with keeping it. These aren't $200 chrome books. They are expensive macs, and I want perfection out of the bow without wrenching or tweaking it.

I am an enthusiast photographer with a 15" late 2013 machine. The display is so closely calibrated out of the box with the default color profile that I don't even bother tweaking it further. It would drive me nuts to have a display that is so obviously warm like that. The retina display shouldn't be warm or cool out of the box. It should be almost accurate in temperature.

6. Nordichund macrumors 6502

I sent 3 of the original aliminuim iMacs back before I was satisfied due to that awful yellow. One of the great things about buying a new Apple machine in my experience and the majority, is that in cases like this their customer service is excellent. Perhaps under their breath they weren't to impressed with me, but over the phone they were I must say, more than helpful. They even gave me some compensation for my troubles.

If you keep it and the screen remains yellow I predict you won't enjoy using it.

Anyway good luck with whatever you decide.

7. luvmymbpr macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

I agree with all of this. I returned an iPad air because there was a spec of dust under the screen right out of the box. It was a tiny, white spec of dust right in the middle of the screen. I don't care how minuscule someone thinks that is, because spending $360 for something means it better be perfect out of the box. Flaws are unacceptable.

8. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Every display is different. Even with mass production the next one on the line of the same model display can be warmer or cooler. The default calibration is an average. That is what display calibration is all about. For something that takes a minute, it's worth a go. If it doesn't work, then yes, I agree, return it.

9. luvmymbpr macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

I'm not disagreeing with differences in displays, but his is very obviously outside the acceptable range.

In addition, proper calibration requires renting or buying something like this to get it right: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/838844-REG/Datacolor_S4P100_Spyder4Pro_Software.html

Just guessing through the calibration with your own eyes isn't a very accurate way to get it right. Everyone sees colors differently, so unless you use a machine to get it right it's pretty much not worth your time.

Just my $0.02. I consider this is pretty big deal and wouldn't think twice to return it.

10. GuitarDTO thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I certainly appreciate the opinions! But you guys aren't making this very easy lol. When I came here my only baseline was my previous display, but the truth is even it was never calibrated. How do I know if that display didn't actually just run cool? From what I've been reading many photographers prefer a white point on their displays a bit warmer to align with Adobe Photoshop's 5000K white point, whereas a lot of default LCD screens typically run cooler around 6500K. I don't know what this thing is at....all I know is that using it all day today my eyes adjusted and it didn't bother me. What bothers me is simply not knowing if this is "normal" or if my display actually is running out of spec warm from what it is supposed to be out of the factory.

I bought the laptop at Best Buy, but I'm wondering if I'd be able to take it to an Apple store to compare with other models. I'm fearful if I decide to exchange it Best Buy won't play as nice as Apple, but I do have 12 more days to decide.

The good news is I now have a complete Time Machine backup of the new machine after all the necessary updates I had to tweak to get my software licenses all transferred over....so if I do exchange it should be a bit smoother

11. vjobs, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2015

vjobs macrumors member

That's the point. The screen isn't yellow, but just a little bit warmer than older MacBook Pro's. This is due de way how they are designed and manufactured. The color accuracy is more natural. But if OP likes, he can always give it a simple calibration and the screen temperature just looks his old MacBook Pro.

He now has a Samsung display which is 100% uniform, exchanging it will send him in a long way of exchanges trough many LG displays. Because most LG displays are good to normal users, but not for the perfectionist like OP. The LG display will have uneven color across the screen (going from cool to warm) and bookspin. You can't just calibrate that away, because the difference in the display will always remain.

OP: I would keep it and calibrate it, then you'll not get any better MacBook Pro. My MacBook Pro retinas were also a little warm, but with easy calibration it's easy to make it look like you prefer. You're MacBook Pro display is perfectly within spec.
    Could you post a picture of your MBPr screen with daylight?

12. GuitarDTO, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015

GuitarDTO thread starter macrumors 6502a

Here are several more. First two are with window directly behind, 1st is half brightness, 2nd has both with brightness all the way up. 3rd and 4th same thing except with window light to the side.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Eternal 28 macrumors 6502

That is too yellow, I would ask for a replacement. What do you think about my display? Which one would you prefer?

Attached Files:

14. Eternal 28 macrumors 6502

Here is a full shot. What do you think?

Attached Files:

15. GuitarDTO thread starter macrumors 6502a

The differences between yours looks very similar....with mine being just a tad more yellowish. What are the two models you are comparing there??

16. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Having played the display lottery on several iPads and MacBooks I'll say this... if the colour is uniform across the screen then my opinion is keep it. It tends to be the colour shifts across the panel that wind most people up and you run a high risk of getting one of those panels if you start returning/replacing devices.

17. vjobs macrumors member

You're screen indeeds looks warm, but still I think it's just warm and not yellow.
    Give it a try, calibrate it and then decide whether you want to return it or not.

But I think returning this one will bring you in a loop of returning, because most MBPr's suffer from uneven whiteness or brightness, and yours not...

18. puma1552 macrumors 601

you could've spent two minutes calibrating it a million times by now. keep it, calibrate it to get the color profile you want, and be done with it.

my old 24" ACD is pretty yellow out of the box. with a simple color profile it is stunning, crisp white and id never ever think to return it since its perfectly uniform.

19. GuitarDTO thread starter macrumors 6502a

Anyone have preferred methods of calibration? Would like to avoid spending on equipment that I don't need but if thats what it takes to get a good calibration I suppose its ok.

20. trevrezent, Jan 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2015

trevrezent macrumors newbie

Just registered with this forum because of this thread. I have been in the same position with my 2013 and 2014 rmbps.
    I will point to some crucial issues with these screens and what to be careful about. I hope this will help you making an informed decision. Sorry in advance for my bad English.
    (1) Uniformity of brightness (and colour)
    Check with a white and a grey picture - displayed by quicklook in fullscreen mode - that the screen is uniformly lit. Try it with full brightness, then just below the brightness setting when white starts to appear 'clipped' and then also try it at about 50% brightness.
    Two common defects:
    (a) blotches/spots differing in brightness and/or perceived colour.
    Blotches appear mostly as horizontal patches.
    Those blotches may appear slightly yellow in case of some kind of defect with lamination (some have suggested the polarizer) or they just may appear either colder or warmer.
    (b) Vignetting.
    This is very obvious; either the vignette shows itself symmetrically left and right or you got a gradient from neutral to pink/magenta. Horizontal in my cases.
    I can assure you that none of both issues will go away or 'magically' diminish as some people repeatedly state. If you don't like them return the machine within your 14-day return window and try the next one. It is very frustrating I don't have to tell you but there are (nearly) immaculate screens out there.
    (2) Color temperature / hue / perceived warmness-coldness
    The main problem with these screens IMHO lays with the backlight. It's not a question of cold or warm but of hue or not hue. All of the colder ones I had - like your left one on the pictures - introduce a pink/magenta hue (the panel gets pinkish lit). You can clearly see it in the 'engadget.com'-screenshot and especially on the tile with the pyramid. Greys/blacks are not neutral, blue is too 'poppy' and yellow gets a little bit reddish; the whole tile looks vivid but also unnatural.
    (I'm not only judging from this photography but have seen this many times in natura and under different condition. Safari color management not an issue here. On a side note, the color distances on these 'magenta-lit' panels are as good/accurate as on the 'neutral-lit' panels apart from that nasty pinkish hue. The panels itself are manufactured quite homogeneously for a consumer product - that goes for both Samsung and LG.)

Some general thoughts... My first 15" rmbp was very much like the right one of yours. I liked it a lot as everything was lit very neutral. But it was clearly suffering from a brightness defect. It wasn't bright at all which did bother me at that time. Additionally it suffered from the mentioned 'polarizer'-blotches.
    The panel itself was manufactured by Samsung. I returned it because of both issues.
    My current one (Samsung) is one of the cold lit kind - like the left of yours - but with nearly no pinkish hue. I therefore gave up a perfectly homogenous one (the only one out of 8 machines) which I found to be too pinkish (as white was always lit pink - be it in applications or simply the safari address bar or worst of all in wonderful autumn pictures). I almost don't regret this decision! :D

To short this (first) post... If the display on the right doesn't suffer from uniformity defects and is bright enough for your needs and you like the way content looks I would keep it. It looks very nice by watching the pictures and - as previously posted - pleasantly warm but not yellowish . Check with your (autumn) photos and maybe compare Rec.709 bars (75%) on it to a calibrated grade 1 monitor if you have access (just to check for white). If there are minor blotches you might work as much as possible on the machine to see if it is acceptable to you. Otherwise return it (and get a long breath or be lucky :eek:).
    Hope this helps!

P.S. Please post a shot of the lit apple logos on both machines.
    P.P.S Actually the out-of-the-box-calibration is quite well (and really usable). Though never got to probe one with a real meter ($$$$$). The pink hue caused by the light source won't vanish even with the best calibration money could buy. Not so sure how accurate commonly used coloris/spectros in the $100-$1000 are. Get decent calibration software.

21. GuitarDTO thread starter macrumors 6502a

22. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Here's some pics of my 2014 13". Taken at full brightness but not in a totally dark room. The patchiness of the screen is from the camera, it doesn't look that bad in real life. Also compared to my riMac (warm), iPhone 6+ (cold), this screen is slightly pinkish but only when compared to my other devices above. After about 5 seconds of moving from one device to another, it's not noticable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. luvmymbpr macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

To get it right, you need to use one of the devices.

You can run through the calibration yourself and eyeball it, but the human eye is never correct. You'll choose different settings depending on the time of day, the brightness of artificial light around you, and even the color of the artificial light around you.

It sounds weird until you see it happen. I tried to calibrate a device once with my eyes. Then I used a calibration device. Comparing before/after, I couldn't believe that my eyes thought was right initially.

24. GuitarDTO thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do you or others know of a preferred device/software that is reasonably priced and does a good enough job? (I would hope something less than ~$50?). I could step up in price if need be though.