New 2016 MacBook M5 Not Charging

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by teerexx52, May 23, 2016.

1. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Hi, I noticed this morning that my MacBook battery was below 85% and was "not charging". I have only had it about a week and have not noticed this behavior before. So far I have had no luck getting the battery to charge when plugged into A/C. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Should I return it?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Do an smc reset on your MacBook. If you get no luck contact Apple. It'll be the first thing they tell you to do tho.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

An SMC and NVRam reset is in order but if that doesn't work straight back to Apple.

4. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

SMC Reset did not work so back to Apple. Do I make a Genius Bar appointment or because it's in 14 day return window just return it and ask for another?

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Personally I'd return it. Once a repair is initiated your return window is closed and that can be a slippery slope

6. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

What do I do if I want another one?

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

Buy one.

8. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

How do you know it's not your charger ? if your lucky it could be that simple

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

Seriously though, the issue could be the MacBook, the cable, or the charger.

If you bought it from a store, take everything back and have them take a look. If you're within the 14 days they'll likely just swap it out.

Instead if you ordered online, call Apple support and talk to them. They'll get you sorted out. Go to Apple.com and click on Support.

10. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I had a new and separate charger and cable which I tried. There was no difference. Just back from the Apple Store where they exchanged it although they want to have tech contact me over how this may have happened.

11. KPOM macrumors G5

Usually what they will do is run some tests. If it is within the return period, they can just initiate a return and sell you another one (since the m5 is usually stocked in the stores, they can do this right away). It resets your return window.

12. pshifrin macrumors 6502

pshifrin

This happened to my 2015. Definitely return it if under 14 days, otherwise you could be without a computer for a week or more! It took two, 5 day trips to the repair depot to get this fixed. First they replaced the battery and it happened again. Then they replaced the logic board.

13. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Glad your sorted :)

14. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Thanks

15. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I just wanted to post that my second Macbook Pro is not charging after two days. I am using all stock apple chargers and cables. No idea why this is happening:(

16. KPOM macrumors G5

Maybe you have a surge issue or something shorting your cables?

Is it your (presumably older) MacBook Pro or is your days-old replacement MacBook already failing? If the latter I'd suspect something external.

17. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

This was what I was thinking as well but My Macbook Pro is fine. No problems. My iMac and my wife's Macbook Pro are also fine.

18. Serban Suspended

Your second mavbook pro??? Or second macbook ??
    --- Post Merged, May 28, 2016 ---
    Here you say macbook pro is fine..
    So im guessing you said your second 12" macbook is also not charging

19. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Right. My 10 month old Macbook Pro is fine. Both MacBooks have had the charging problem

20. Serban Suspended

I think that Apple store had some lot issues...try again exchange it but try the new one in the store to see if it charging

21. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

The senior tech I spoke with last night said just that. At this point I am going to take a refund and wait and see what the Macbook Pros look like in June

22. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

You certainly seem unlucky and there is no guarantee in June there will be new MBP available and if they are new 1st gens who knows what you may get with your run of luck

Maybe 3 strikes and your out should apply :D

23. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I agree. 1st gens can be troublesome as well. I think I am going to avoid the 3rd strike and stick with my year old 13" Pro. On my way to Apple Store to return it. Apple Tech suggested a "bad batch" :)

24. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Bad batch LOL what and only you got them :)

Only problem is if you need to sell your MBP now is the peek if your lucky (Not your strongest suit at he mo :D) as your likely to devalue far more after June

25. KPOM macrumors G5

With a first gen I'd opt for a refurbished model. Not only is it cheaper but it has gone through testing. They are less likely to have defects than a new-in-box model.

I'm still wondering whether an external force is at play. Getting 2 bad MacBooks seems exceedingly rare. The MacBook may be more sensitive to power surges because it charges through the USB-C protocol. You might pick up a voltage tester at the hardware store and see if your outlet is putting out too much power.