New 2016 MacBook Pro with TouchBar Popping

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NickMcCandless, Mar 28, 2017.

1. NickMcCandless macrumors regular

I have a new 2016 MacBook Pro with TouchBar that I bought earlier this year and at random times I will hear a semi-loud pop come from my MacBook Pro, not sure if its from the speakers or what it is, but it happens every now and then randomly. Anyone else notice or hear this?

Also, after using computer for awhile the volume scroller shows and looks like its working and shows on my screen, but the volume isn't actually fixed. Only way to fix is to restart my machine. I have tried resetting my PRAM and SMC and still have same issue. Anyone else having these occur?

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

There are a few threads about the popping sounds.

When you say the volume isn't fixed, do you mean you can't adjust it?

3. NickMcCandless thread starter macrumors regular

I can adjust the volume and it shows I am changing the volume on the touchbar and the screen, but the actual volume coming out of the speakers does not change. I am confused on the popping sounds, what's causing it?

4. Sanpete macrumors 68020

That's a new one about the volume, don't think I've heard of that before. Do you have any unusual software running? If you're near an Apple Store, you could take a video of the volume adjustment not working and take it to the store.

The most likely cause of popping sounds is metal expanding and contracting due to heat, but there may be other kinds of popping sounds too. Look for threads here about popping or other similar sounds.

5. NickMcCandless, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017

NickMcCandless thread starter macrumors regular

My machine isn't really put under any heavy load so I do not believe heat is the issue.

Also I am not running any software outside of popular software platforms like Adobe, Filezilla, Github, Skype, etc.

6. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Popular is a relative thing. Skype might affect volume control, I suppose. It and others that might affect audio are your most likely suspects.

I don't think it takes a lot of heat to make metal expand. But there are other threads on popping sounds you can check for that.

7. NickMcCandless thread starter macrumors regular

Well it will be working for most of the day and then just stop working and I have to restart machine. If it was issue with Skype wouldn't it happen sooner? I always have Skype open on my machine.

8. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Hard to say why random things happen at all, for any reason. But there must be a reason.

9. TofSanity macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

I too have this sound. The popping noise was also on my 2012 15" rMBP. From what I have researched, it seems to the aluminum expanding from the heat. Not sure about this since it will happen in sleep mode. On my 2012 machine Apple replaced the board, but the popping noise was still there. So, who knows. It is a bit annoying, yet doesn't keep me from using.