Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Which would you go for?

Assuming people are upgrading from the IPhone 8.

Will you go for a reduced price X or a LCD model? Rumours suggest one LCD.

It will be difficult because by then the X will be old tech and the LCD will probably have some new perks. However if it only gets Face ID the X may be a better choice.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
What a weird question. How could anyone possibly make this decision when there is zero information on the 2018 iPhones?

Because rumours are usually accurate. The LCD is rumoured to be bigger in size about 6”. The X will likely come down in price.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I would opt for the 6.46" OLED model unless the price is ridiculous. The 5.8" display on the X is a bit small for those coming from a current Plus model.

I suspect the rumored 6" TFT LCD model is Apple's plan B in case they are still stuck with the same OLED production bottlenecks.

noekozz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
212/201
I would opt for the 6.46" OLED model unless the price is ridiculous. The 5.8" display on the X is a bit small for those coming from a current Plus model.

I suspect the rumored 6" TFT LCD model is Apple's plan B in case they are still stuck with the same OLED production bottlenecks.

This. It's part of the reasons I upgraded from the 6+ to the 8+. I don't care much for facial ID and can't justify the price difference for having that and an OLED screen. My guess is that eventually the OLED screens will make their way to the other models and the iPhone X will be left as that, the iPhone X, meaning they won't release three separate models next year, essentially making the iPhone X a collectors item. (makes sense since it's more to collaborate the 10 year anniversary) I also don't see how they can sustain 3 different iPhone product lines consistently year after year. But at this point who knows.

Reactions: ABC5S

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015
This. It's part of the reasons I upgraded from the 6+ to the 8+. I don't care much for facial ID and can't justify the price difference for having that and an OLED screen. My guess is that eventually the OLED screens will make their way to the other models and the iPhone X will be left as that, the iPhone X, meaning they won't release three separate models next year, essentially making the iPhone X a collectors item. (makes sense since it's more to collaborate the 10 year anniversary) I also don't see how they can sustain 3 different iPhone product lines consistently year after year. But at this point who knows.
They can’t. They have supply issues this year with AMOled screens. Supposedly there will be a couple of other manufacturers making them next year. In all likelihood, there will be 2 models using the AMOled screens. The price should come down. You could have potential screen differences though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.