Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wfriedwald

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
as I have read, the 2012 mac mini was "customizable" (to a degree) by the user - it was possible for the user to add his (or her) own RAM from a party. However, I have also read that the 2014 mac mini was NOT, it was sealed and impossible to open, you couldn't adjust the hard drive or the RAM or anything.

so my question: do we know if it will be possible to add third-party RAM to the 2018 Mac Mini, like the 2012 model, or is sealed and unopenable (obviously, that's not the correct technical term) like the 2014?

Here's hoping it's more like 2012 (in that regard) than 2014.

does anybody know?

w

tedson

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Yes, its possible but Apple recommends that it be done by an Apple Authorized Service Technician. That said, if you're not a complete dumb ass, you will be able to do it yourself but if you break anything doing the upgrade, that's on you. No warranty for your screw up.

Reactions: !!!

wfriedwald

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
thank you very much! this is great news, so I can theoretically add a new graphics card (or something) five years from now, when it becomes necessary.

can anyone advise me :
what kind of third-party RAM to get ?
and where to get it?
(to go to 65GB of RAM with Apple costs $1,400 - it's got to be less than that from a third party.)

and then, I will find an Apple-certified technician who would hopefully be willing to install it (for a fee of course).

sounds like a plan, Man!

w

tedson

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
No, you can not add a new graphics card to the Mini, it uses integrated graphics, Intel UHD 630, you can add an external eGPU box from third party vendors.

RAM: 2666MHz DDR4 SO-DIMM memory, 2 slots

you can search the internet for prices when you're ready to add it. you need 2 x 32GB 2666MHz DDR4 SO-DIMM memory which seems really hard to find right now.

tedson

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"thank you very much! this is great news, so I can theoretically add a new graphics card (or something) five years from now, when it becomes necessary."

Umm... no.
I could be wrong, but I believe the CPU (which includes integrated graphics) is SOLDERED in -- not replaceable.

The ONLY "user-upgradeable" component of the new Mini is the RAM.

If you want to "upgrade" it, you pretty much have to "order those upgrades" when you BUY it...

wdwpsu

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2017
Orlando
OP wrote:
"thank you very much! this is great news, so I can theoretically add a new graphics card (or something) five years from now, when it becomes necessary."

Umm... no.
I could be wrong, but I believe the CPU (which includes integrated graphics) is SOLDERED in -- not replaceable.

The ONLY "user-upgradeable" component of the new Mini is the RAM.

If you want to "upgrade" it, you pretty much have to "order those upgrades" when you BUY it...
Umm... no.
You can upgrade the video card by adding an eGPU.
You can upgrade the hard drive by buying a T5, which delivers faster speeds than the internal SSD.
You can upgrade the memory by taking it apart.
You can't upgrade the CPU. Last time I tried upgrading a CPU on a Windows box, I had to replace the motherboard anyhow resulting in a Video Card and Power Supply upgrade.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
wd wrote:
"Umm... no.
You can upgrade the hard drive by buying a T5, which delivers faster speeds than the internal SSD."

Nothing I posted in #10 above has been proven inaccurate.
The "upgrades" I spoke of were internal (of course)...

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Umm... no.
You can upgrade the hard drive by buying a T5, which delivers faster speeds than the internal SSD.
You can upgrade the memory by taking it apart.
You can't upgrade the CPU. Last time I tried upgrading a CPU on a Windows box, I had to replace the motherboard anyhow resulting in a Video Card and Power Supply upgrade.

This is in the most part correct. I actually think this 'modular' Mac Pro coming in 2019 is going to be along the same kind of lines - but you may be able to slot these extra 'upgrades' inside rather then connect externally. Either way you can trust Apple in assuming they will be proprietary and overpriced either way.

The T5 wouldn't be anywhere near as fast as the internal Mac Mini SSD though. For that you would need something like the X5, which uses TB3 rather then USB-C.

Reactions: xiaosongz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.