Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JeffreyVB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2019
Va Beach, VA
Picked up a 2018 base Mini on eBay this week. Was advertised as like new, with less than a month's use and it looks it. Replaces a DOG slow PC that was probably 8 years old. Didn't want to move it to Win 10, so I made the jump to Mac OS for my desktop. I already have a MacBook. After about 48hrs of use, I am loving it. Its the base model, i3, 128gb storage, 8gb RAM. So far it seems to be holding up just fine, but I plan to add an external SSD and upgrade the RAM. The biggest adjustment that I am having is the lack of fan noise. I never realized how intrusive fan noise was, til it was gone. What a difference!!!

Reflej0

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2020
Picked up a 2018 base Mini on eBay this week. Was advertised as like new, with less than a month's use and it looks it. Replaces a DOG slow PC that was probably 8 years old. Didn't want to move it to Win 10, so I made the jump to Mac OS for my desktop. I already have a MacBook. After about 48hrs of use, I am loving it. Its the base model, i3, 128gb storage, 8gb RAM. So far it seems to be holding up just fine, but I plan to add an external SSD and upgrade the RAM. The biggest adjustment that I am having is the lack of fan noise. I never realized how intrusive fan noise was, til it was gone. What a difference!!!

Congratulations, although it is the basic model and it is super fast, I think that the biggest limitation is the size of the SSD (which is not upgradeable), the processor although i3 is powerful and the ram is upgradeable.
With respect to the fan, eyes that do not see a heart that does not feel, lower the Mac Fans Control program and observe the temperatures haha.
I am an obsessive about temperatures and I have the fan at 4000 RPM makes a little noise but the temperatures are much more pleasant for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.