• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

Bigboiiiii

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2015
I recently upgraded from the 2019 13" 1.4ghz model to a 2.4ghz model and am getting much worse battery life (roughly 5 hours of battery life of web surfing on chrome. Is this normal?) and even slower wifi performance as well. I heard the 2.4ghz model had better wifi and am surprised to see it actually performing worse.

System information is showing a full charge capacity of 5092 mAH

BLBL

macrumors 68000
Apr 11, 2018
Battery is about the same capacity on both 1.4 and 2.4 model, so probably the only difference between them comes from the quality of the battery you happen to get.

My 1.4 currently runs about as long on battery surfing on Safari (I just got 4.5 hours from battery 100 to 25% use, so maybe 5-6 hours total if run to 0% battery). However my battery has already 30 charge cycles and it obviously is aging as I was getting much more use when it was brand new, so looks like it is degrading pretty fast, even it still says health is 100%.

Anyway run time on battery seems rather poor compared to official advertised run times. For example I easily get 8-10 hours of use with my year old Zenbook that has already degraded battery (45W left, was 50W originally) which is smaller than in MBP (58.2W) in the begin with!! Surely MBP is faster and has better and brighter display but I run both units visually about the same brightness.

Last edited:
Comment

Ben Liu

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2019
I upgrade my 2016 13" macbook pro non-touchbar to the 13" macbook pro 2.4ghz. I also noticed the battery life isn't too great compared to the old model. I haven't done much study on the time just yet but the battery certainly drains fast enough for me to notice the difference to the old model. ?

Comment

BLBL

macrumors 68000
Apr 11, 2018
I upgrade my 2016 13" macbook pro non-touchbar to the 13" macbook pro 2.4ghz. I also noticed the battery life isn't too great compared to the old model. I haven't done much study on the time just yet but the battery certainly drains fast enough for me to notice the difference to the old model. ?
Real battery life is far from 10 hrs in practise. My 1.4GHz gets about 4-4.5 hours until battery is down to around 1/3 left. So if you want to keep your battery healthy and avoid deep discharges it is not good to let it go lower. So doing anything more demanding than just like writing a book using simple text editor or word processing software, it seems very difficult to get 10 hours of use on battery. For example simple web surfing with 3 to 5 tabs open when one of the tabs is playing music from Youtube practically melts the battery, you see drains like 15 to 20% per hour. Not very nice it cannot run on battery for full working day

Last edited:
Comment

yukari

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Battery hours depends on a variety of factors including how brightly you have your display set, any other programs running, Bluetooth connection, wifi connection, etc.

I can get anywhere from about 5 hours on my 2018 MBP (15", so not quite the same, but the same principle applies), to 10 hours depending on my display brightness and type of programs used.

In general, Chrome is energy hog relative to Safari or Firefox.

Comment

BLBL

macrumors 68000
Apr 11, 2018
I sure peoples who complain about the new MBP having noticeable shorter running times compared to their old MBP use both in pretty equal conditions.

Anyway, I'm running my MBP in pretty low brightness (max -6 clicks), I think even official run times are measured using higher (was it max -4 or so?). Also I only use Safari, I have no additional browsers even installed. Usually just 3 to 5 tabs open. Sure Bluetooth and wifi is in use but I hardly think those are something you are not supposed to be able to use to reach official readings for run times, do you? I mean this is meant to be a portable device with build in battery for actual use and not just UPS for possible power outages?? There is not even connector for wired lan...

Comment

ventmore

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
From the product page:

7DAEC5AE-41B9-410C-9013-7255B64413F5.jpeg

Comment

BLBL

macrumors 68000
Apr 11, 2018
From the product page:
Brightness 12 clicks from bottom is the same as -4 clicks from max, so I'm running mine on much lower brightness (max -6 usually) and still getting poor battery run times in real (light) use.

Reactions: ventmore
Comment

ventmore

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Brightness 12 clicks from bottom is the same as -4 clicks from max, so I'm running mine on much lower brightness (max -6 usually) and still getting poor battery run times in real (light) use.
Yep...I wasn’t contradicting you......just posted to confirm you were correct and to show the other test conditions. :)

Comment

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
My battery life isn't bad, but is it normal if the capacity is already at 97% after just 5 months? I have a 15 inch.
If you do the math...

Your battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 1000 complete charge cycles. Apple expects your battery to live ~ 3 years (even though they warranty for 1). So if you round up to 6 months eating up 3%, in 36 months you'd be up to 18% which is pretty close.

Comment

dannyyankou

macrumors G4
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
If you do the math...

Your battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 1000 complete charge cycles. Apple expects your battery to live ~ 3 years (even though they warranty for 1). So if you round up to 6 months eating up 3%, in 36 months you'd be up to 18% which is pretty close.
Ok I guess that makes sense. It’s just I had a 2012 MBP for 7 years, and it never went below 80% capacity. It held up for a really long time.

Comment

Bob-Lee

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2020
I recently upgraded from the 2019 13" 1.4ghz model to a 2.4ghz model and am getting much worse battery life...

Hi Bigboiiiii

I was struggling to find a solution for my fast battery drain for about 4 weeks.
I started with 2h 14min (from 100% to 6%) and ended up with 11h 44min (from 100% to 5%).

After reading through several forums, having phone calls with Apple experts and doing live testing (without using tons of 3rd party apps) I could finally solve my fast battery drain. Here is how I managed it:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/battery-life-on-macbook-pro-16.2212813/post-28364649

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.